Planning my next workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UHF79

Reaction score
I'm moving house soon and want a workshop bigger than my current 4m x 4m cabin.

I'm having trouble finding out about building regs and planning permission.

Initially I had planned a 5.5m x 4.5m workshop, under 2.4m high, over 1m from the boundary and taking up less than 50% of the original space around the house, for this I know its permitted development and that it doesn't need building regs.

However, there are now two snags, one is specific to the property itself.

There is a house at 90 degrees across the back of the property, which is one of the boundaries I want to build 1m away from, the boundary is not a fence but instead the side of the neighbouring house. Its not clear in any of the regs if I can still build 1m away from another dwelling. It only states that it cannot be 20m from my building and cannot be less than 2.5m from my building.

The other snag I have is that I want to build bigger, 7.5m x 4.5m which gives an INITIAL floor space of over 30m2, but once battoned and insulated it'll be under 30m2, any idea what measurement they take as I don't want to be subjected to Building Regs. Do they take the initial internal skin of the building or the finished skin of the building when calculating floor space?

I know both are permitted development so don't require planning permission but not sure if this is complicated by the proximity of the other house. If i'm forced to build 2.5m from that house then i'll run out of garden!

I'll contact the local planning and building dept in the week but wanted to be prepared.

BTW I assemble and fly model planes however I want a larger workshop so one day I can use it to actually build and fabricate rather than just assemble ;)

Many thanks

Back