Garage Workshop Plans

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPott

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently built my daughter a new Wendy house in the back garden using my trusty Evolution Mitre/Table saw combo and have to admit that I quite enjoyed it. Since then I've been toying with the idea of converting my 2.2x5m garage to a workshop to further the hobby.

I imagine to start with I'll be starting out making basic things (cutting boards, small boxes etc) but I have knocked together some plans in Autodesk Fusion for a new 4 seater dining table. I don't think I'll be going as far as making larger items like wardrobes etc!

I would welcome some feedback on the attached layout and tool choices. I haven't set a specific budget as I'd likely purchase the tools separately, but I've assumed ~£2500 for now.

GaragePlan.PNG

My notes:-
- The Orange/Brown borders are a custom cabinet on castors that I'd build for them to make it easy to move them around as required.

- Planer / Thicknesser
I recognise the lack of chip extraction for the P/T, but the manufacturer's guidance states that it can be used "outside with a respirator", so I have placed it by the main up/over door. I appreciate that this is less than ideal, but I do not have the space for a dedicated chip extractor as well as the dust extraction for the other tools. I will operate it with that in mind, taking small passes to minimise the amount of debris.

I've included a second 'courtesy' door (though I may go with a window instead for better light) on the side of the garage to help ventilation.

Given the P/T is the only tool that requires the chip extraction, I've instead opted for a shop vac system with an Oneidea cyclone add-on for the other tools.

I did consider not having a P/T, but I have a good source of pallet wood that I could recycle - plus the cost saving from lumber yards of buying sawn rather than PAR was hard to ignore.

- The Bench
I'll be using an old office desk that I grabbed from work as surplus. I plan to add a 25mm thick MDF (or other suitable material) cover on top of the desk surface for protection and possibly addition of a vice, dog hole or T-tracks.

- Table saw
I would have preferred to get one of the stationary units, but size and mobility demand that I had to go with a benchtop style instead. The Axminster AC216TS seems like a suitable unit.

- Other tools
I would have liked to squeeze in a router table and maybe even a CNC in the future... but a TARDIS the garage is not! :lol: I'll have to make do with a handheld router with some sort of track/guide system for now I think.

The aforementioned Evolution Mitre/table saw is portable enough so it'll live on the shelf until needed. I did consider using it as the main table saw, but I don't think it would be up to the task.

I will probably look to get a belt and disk sander as well, but these are also small enough to live on the same shelves until needed.

Many thanks :)

Tony

Attachments

• GaragePlan.PNG
    GaragePlan.PNG
    60.8 KB · Views: 219
Hi Tony, welcome to the forum.
It all looks very crowded. I have a workshop of about the same size and have a planer thicknesser plus extractor plus timber storage in my single garage - that's crowded at times!
I sold my table saw as it was taking up too much room and upgraded my bandsaw as a compromise. You may find that a bandsaw can do almost all your cutting.
Hope that helps with the bigger machines. My experience is that you need a lot more space than you think so try to reduce as much as possible from the start.
All the best,

John

Each to their own, but I couldn't work in such a crowded space. There isn't even room to deal with a half sheet of ply/ MDF. I'd personally forget the tablesaw, and the mitre saw can't work where it is.

Hi both,

I've moved things around a little, and added a 1.2 x 0.6m sheet of MDF for scale.. The vacuum will fit under the bench so that claws a little space back too.

Garage Plan v2.PNG

The dimensions I've used were taken from the mfr websites, so I'm assuming if they have a 50cm wide unit but with a small 10cm switch poking out the side then they list the width as being 60cm... so it may not be as bad as it looks? </wishful thinking>

I envisage moving any tools that I'm not actively using well out of the way (thanks to the castors) so I am fairly confident that I can make it work but I agree, space is very much at a premium :)

Re: The mitre saw position, aye - it is only stored on the shelf. I would move it onto the bench or set it up on the mitre saw stand outside if needed.

Interesting idea about replacing the T/S with a better bandsaw... I was under the impression that a T/S gives a better cut as the blade doesn't wander/flex? I'll do some research tomorrow and see what I can find.

It also looks like the P/T I picked out has been discontinued, doesn't look like it's in stock anywhere. I'll do some more digging tomorrow :)

Attachments

• Garage Plan v2.PNG
    Garage Plan v2.PNG
    57.1 KB · Views: 174
There's a really good argument for abandoning the table saw in this tiny space. A properly set up bandsaw will do all your ripping perfectly well. I would hazard a guess that most active woodworkers here have a bandsaw/ PT set up, in lieu of a tablesaw, simply because the latter eats space. I've got 30 sq m, and won't have a tablesaw because it wastes so much space. It isn't just the size of the machine, but the amount of space required around it to work in.

Food for thought, thank you. I've just read an article by Matt Estlea about this very topic where he makes the same recommendation (mattestlea [dot] com/blog/should-you-get-a-bandsaw-or-a-table-saw/).

I suppose if I ever did need to use a table saw then I still have the Evolution 210MTS with its small table saw component, or possibly a tracksaw?

Looks like tomorrow I'll be researching bandsaws, an alternative P/T and maybe a tracksaw :)

Thanks again :)

Hi TPott,

I have pretty much the same layout as your original. The difference being I only have 2/3rds of the garage.

Recently i changed the up and over door to a side hinged door , and made the front 1/3rd a "utility room" for freezers, fridges and tumble dryer, with shelving over all these. This freed up some space in the rear 2/3rds as i moved stuff into the utility side.

I have a SCMS on a mobile stand where your Drill is and the Drill is on a mobile stand where your new door is. The P/T is on an Axi mobile base and is pulled into the centre of the workshop when I want to use it (along with a RP DX1000 extractor).

This all works for me.

I do have a table saw (use it quite a bit for 45 degree cuts, cross cut sled cuts etc), I have a RP sabre 350 bandsaw too, mainly used for resawing. I can manage a full sheet of ply (just) and use a tracksaw for breaking this down.

Yes sometimes i could do with more space, but i do regularly use all of the above & as i said - it works for me. As with most of us - your shop will never be finished, you'll always be tweaking it, and then some e.g. Rearrangitis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTvcxujfbmE

Ian

Back