planing long boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piBurner

Reaction score
I've spent the morning planing some boards that are too long for my workbench and am dealing with stability issues. Specifically, I'm removing overlap on some solid edge banding on 7.5' long plywood that will be used for a closet organizer. I've put this on long (5.5') sawhorses that are oriented perpendicular to the direction of planing. The boards are clamped to the horses and weighed down with a 50# bag of sand. I'm getting good, thin shavings. Still, the thing is dancing around.

How do folks typically deal with this, other that building a bigger, more stable workbench.

I've spent the morning planing some boards that are too long for my workbench and am dealing with stability issues. Specifically, I'm removing overlap on some solid edge banding on 7.5' long plywood that will be used for a closet organizer. I've put this on long (5.5') sawhorses that are oriented perpendicular to the direction of planing. The boards are clamped to the horses and weighed down with a 50# bag of sand. I'm getting good, thin shavings. Still, the thing is dancing around.

How do folks typically deal with this, other that building a bigger, more stable workbench.
Needs jamming against a wall. Clamp a long 2x4" under your saw horses and butt it to the wall and have the end pf your workpiece against a stop, nailed on or something?

Clamp a long bearer beneath the board, say a straight length of PAR 2X3. Have it protrude past the end of the board, and have this bear against a wall or other immoveable object. This will give some additional stability when planing.

I'd clamp the board between two blocks of timber on each saw horse with those blocks firmly clamped to the saw horse and plane vertically, if that makes sense?

Back