Planing end grain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robotmannick

Reaction score
Hi all,
Is it possible to plane end grain on a planer thicknesser? Undesirable sure, but if I nibbled at it in small increments, can it be done safely?
The piece I have is a sandwich of two one-meter-long, 5cm wide pine pieces on the outside and the "filling" of the sandwich is alternating side grain and end grain, also 5cm width. A bit like a capital E shape. All pieces are firmly glued together with reinforcing bolts.
TIA

I plain the end grain on wooden worktops with a straight edge and a router and spiral bit, 1/2” end mills are cheap and work well.

Pete

I can’t quite work out what it is you want to plane Tia, but yes you can, I made a few end grain butcher block style chopping blocks in beech and put them across my planner – set very fine and slowly and it worked a treat, you could of course do it by hand. I made the mistake very early on of doing the edge of a piece of ply across the planer, ruins the blade. Ian

Thanks both. Fair comment, probably not the best description from me! But I think I now have the confidence to try it.
Cheers.

Back