planer thicknesser - table folding direction awkward

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive got one of the cheaper axminster planer thicknessers.

Standing at the machine, using the jointer function is fine. You pass the job from right to left, and the dust extractor fits to the left.

But then to convert to thicknesser, the tables have to fold toward you. It would seem so much more sensible for them to fold back, toward the fence side of the machine - its confusing to me why the design is like this?

The irritation that the dust extractor also has to be plugged into the other side of the machine is more understandable, but still awkward.

The reason for my post is to ask if its just me missing something? Are all units designed to fold like this? Again, it would seem so much more logical for the tables to fold toward the rear of the machine so as they then did not constantly obscure you when thicknessing, but, again, am i just missing something?

Thank you.

ps im to be re-arranging things here in the new year, hence it being in my thought...

As far as I'm aware the tables are supposed to fold away from you. You plane from right to left and then :oops: thickness from left to right. Which machine do you have? Sounds weird :-k

Its this one, or there abouts -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ppb52hCgKU&t=4s

See at about the 4:40 min mark, he folds up the tables - but what is not immediately obvious if you just fast foward is that he has turned the whole machine around at that point - so it looks like the tables are folding away, but he is standing on the other side of the machine (see the fence attachment point)

Hello,

Have you tried fitting the fence and bridge guard mounting gear on the opposite sides to the one they are on? The fittings will be identical, because the bits are not handed, so could be done the wrong way!

Mike.

not looked, but its certainly set up as per axminster's spec at present

i just looked on their website, and, whilst this is a slighly different variant, its the same - the tables below would fold toward the opperator -

101142_xl.jpg

julianf":3fwwui01 said:
not looked, but its certainly set up as per axminster's spec at present

i just looked on their website, and, whilst this is a slighly different variant, its the same - the tables below would fold toward the opperator -

101142_xl.jpg

Hello,

The image you posted isn't showing, but I'm assuming you have an Axminster White AT 106. If you think of it pragmatically, you can get the machine closer to a wall with the tables opening outward. Otherwise they are a PITA, but that is the way they are. However, I think you'll find a more annoying foible with that machine. The outfeed table does not hold it's setting when you change back from thicknessing to planing and if you are anything like me, it will drive you bananas. They used to be cheap machines, and a few niggles were tolerable for the price paid, because they were generally solid otherwise. But the prices have gone out of all proportion lately, and the faults are less acceptable IMHO.

Mike.

Looks like it's just that model that does it - the larger Axminster ones fold away from you when standing in the planning (right to left) position.

I think the folding tables are not a great idea anyhow. Do combined units like the wadkin bao/s also have folding tables? I was eyeing them up, but the axminster was cheap and localish. And, importantly, at the moment, easily movable. But maybe I'll swap it at some point.

Anyhow, this thread has confirmed that it seems I'm not just overlooking something. Its always irritating when something is just designed in an awkward way.

Back