Planer Thicknesser Fuse Blowing Problem - Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Bob, today, I meant back then.
I have worked on motors from the 40's and insulation on both capacitors and motors were nothing like as good as today.
Windings were insulated with shellac, Gutta Percha, pitch, waxed card and Empire Tape, remember that stuff at all?
Remember the dreadful cotton based insulating tape?
I once owned a very old Mullard 'scope, 6 ich tube, about 50 pound in weight and every capacitor in the HV supply was a paper block type. I think my 3 inch service scope weighs less than those capacitors! :lol:
Lets face it Bob, modern motors are vastly superior to the old 'uns, mostly due to the improvements in insulation. They don't weigh so much either, thankfully.
The first time I insulated a heavy cable joint for underground usage a cast iron fitting was clamped to the two joined ends, hot pitched was poured in and the cover screwed on.
They don't make 'em like they used to! :lol:

Roy.

My Fobco drill has a 1/4 hp (I think) motor with a start capacitor that is a block about 6" by 4" by 4". No idea what it is technically, but it makes a significant contribution to the (not inconsiderable!) weight of the whole machine!

Not sure whether I'd agree with your comment about modern motors superiority, Roy. From my limited experience, a 30 year old Brook will probably outlast and outperform its modern counterpart. But will weigh a ton.............

.... and you shouldn't attempt to lift one when you have a broken rib. DAMHIKT.

Dick,

Microfarads are not very heavy at all, so I suspect that block is possibly a transformer. It is just possible that your drill motor is a 110 volt one and the transformer steps down your 240 v mains?

Bob

PS How is your solar PV generation doing? We are getting about 7kWh per day at the moment from a 2.35kWp system

That it will outlast is probably correct Dick, but on the tech level the modern moters are superior.
I'll stand ready to be corrected on this, but I'll suggest that modern motors will obtain more HP from each amp of current compared to their older cousins, ie, they are more efficient.
Some motors that I designed years ago were probably less efficient than steam power, but were the best that could be done at that time.

Roy.

9fingers":3f5bya5u said:
Dick,

Microfarads are not very heavy at all, so I suspect that block is possibly a transformer. It is just possible that your drill motor is a 110 volt one and the transformer steps down your 240 v mains?

Bob

PS How is your solar PV generation doing? We are getting about 7kWh per day at the moment from a 2.35kWp system

Pretty sure it's a capacitor - there's only two wires going into it! From memory of hobby radio back in the 50s, I think it's probably a paper dielectric one, and definitely heavy!

Generation is very variable, but we've averaged about 10kWh per day from our 3.9kW nominal system during March. Certainly doing a lot better now the panels aren't snow covered :D.
Now it's the even bigger expense of fitting a Windhager wood-pellet boiler to complete our renewable energy system.

Latest posts

Back