Axminster planer/thicknesser AW106PT2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jolyon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Has anyone got one of these? I bought one second hand a few months ago and it has been sitting in my house while I had my workshop rebuilt. I used it a couple of times and it was fine. I moved it into the workshop, pressed the on button, and the motor turned for a fraction of a second before cutting out. Now nothing happens. The cutter head turns freely, the plug fuse is intact, and none of the RCDs or fuses tripped (it's on a 20A circuit).
I haven't started probing with a multimeter but I'm wondering if there is some kind of internal fuse or cut out device that I could reset? I can't see anything in the manual I found online.

Hi jolyon

why not give Axminster a ring… they are very helpful…I’ve done it in past with a bench grinder I bought…

steve

Hi jolyon

why not give Axminster a ring… they are very helpful…I’ve done it in past with a bench grinder I bought…

steve
Don't know if they would want to help with an old second hand machine but if I get stuck I will try it

So you have power to the machine but nothing is working since you moved it. There are inhibit switches to ensure the machine can only run in set configurations, ie both tables down for planing or both tables up and the extraction hood in place for thicknessing which is the same for the Record PT107 and others. Might be worth changing to thicknessing setup and seeing if it then works as it would operate these switches.

Thanks, I didn't know about those switches. But I've tried it in both configurations and nothing doing. It's a bit odd that it ran for a fraction of a second before cutting out - it does seem to point towards something tripping inside.

Good that you are sorted now. I have one of these (not the p/t2 version). It work finr off a 13A plug. I find the 2HP motor a bit underpowered. However - to the point - make sure the dust extraction outlet is properly seated when changing from planing to thicknessing + vice versa because there is a microswitch which will cut the power if not closed.

K

Back