planer/thicknesser: Elektra Beckum/ Metabo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johan

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I've been reading this forum for a while, but this is my first post.

I've been looking at the Metabo / Elektra-Beckum HC 300 W planer/thicknesser, which (on special offer) I can get for not much more than the price of the Metabo HC 260 C (around 20% more). Is it worth it to pay a little more for the HC 300? Does anybody have experience with the HC 300? I wish to replace my old DeWalt DW50.

Johan
(Pretoria, South Africa)

Hi Johan,

Welcome to the form. :D

Like Neil I cannot help with your question. :roll:

How about putting your location in your profile, (link near the top of page) then when members answer your posts they know you don't have a UK shop just around the corner. 8) IIRC you are our second member in South Africa. =D>

DaveL":2cfc6ub2 said:
How about putting your location in your profile

Good point, Dave. If more members would do this (just the county if people don't want to be too specific) it would sometimes make it easier to post helpful replies to questions.

Paul

Hi Johan,

Welcome to the forum.

I may very well be wrong here, but i have got a feeling that the Metabo/ Elektra Beckum HC300W may be either a different model number from what we use in the UK (but there again the HC260C is the same), or is a machine that we do not have over here.

I have searched high and low for it, but i cannot find it. Of course someone will be along shortly, having found it in a couple of seconds flat :oops: :oops:

Cheers

Mike

Hi Johan,

The HC300 is available over here, and it was previously known as the Metabo ADH260. I don't think it has changed much, and I know that it was a fairly popular machine before the influx of cheap far eastern machines a few years ago.

Unfortunately I haven't used the machine myself so that's about as much as I can tell you.

Hi there,

I have just purchased the HC300 Metabo (Elektra Beckum).

One of the key reasons was that it can handle 314mm wide boards.

It arrived on Thursday and I have been using it plenty since. Fantastic!.

Not that I am an expert but I am very chuffed with it.

Well made with decent castings, reasonably thick plates and the adjustment of height (thickness) is robust and well made. Easy to use, even for me! Indicators are in metric and imperial. The quality of finish, paintwork and construction is outstanding.

I am impressed! It even has little finishes - the outfeed guide has a bag attached to the underside (so it provides storage for the adjustment tools and blade removal tools)

The main badge is Electra Beckum in case you ask.

I bought mine via ebay on the special that is underway, good buy - excellent price c/w 3 year guarantee.

I would recommend this one on - even with my limited experience, I expect many years use of this.

I wanted to buy once and buy well, and I think this it one of those.

Wish you well.

This is me ->>>> :shock: :) :D :lol:

Hi again everybody,

Thanks for the replies so far!

I've updated my profile as suggested.

Mike, you can see the HC 300 W at the Metabo website. This link should take you directly to it:
http://www.metabo.com/metabo/halbstatio ... 30000.html

The HC 300 W appears to be one of the HC 300 versions available. Rated (input) power is 1.85 kW, while output power is rated at 1.3 kW. The HC 300 D is rated at 2.8 kW input/ 2.2 kW output power, but I haven't seen this version over here.

In comparison, the smaller HC 260 C machine is rated at 2.2 kW input/ 1.6 kW output power. I've been told by a dealer that the HC 260 C version is the same machine as the HC 260 M, with the difference being the origin of the motor (C uses a Chinese motor, M a German).

To me it appeared that while the HC 260 has been around for a while, the HC 300 is a relatively new machine (does anybody know?). So, I assume some improvements have been made, but the dealers have not been able to point those out.

I would appreciate any further comments!

By the way, there aren't to many types of branded planer/thicknessers available here, but quite a few "no-name" imports from China at about half the price of the branded machines.

Regards,
Johan

Hi again everybody,

After some more searching for information on the Metabo/EB HC300, I've noticed that it has been reviewed in Australian Wood Review (issue 29) (in its previous colours as the Metabo ADH1630). Does anybody have a copy of this magazine?

By the way, nonidentity, isn't it the Metabo DH330 that you bought on e-bay? I couldn't see any specials on the HC300.

Regards,
Johan

Latest posts

Back