Planer thicknesser advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wouldchuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am gradually gathering the kit together for my workshop and have now decided that if i want to get on with some projects then i should lay out on a planer/thicknesser. I have a duplicate post running in the For Sale.Wanted in case there are people who are looking to sell - apologies for the duplication.

My needs:

Second hand - my budget is 350ish, but may be convinceable!

Im a hobbyist - kitchen cabinets, bookshelves, the odd bit of furniture, boxes etc, this isnt my living...

But i'd rather have quality, plus i have plenty of room so no need for anything small

Technically, i dont have the patience to be setting it square every ten minutes, i want something is easy to set up and stays set up. If purchasing someone's 2nd hand, I want as good a guarentee as i can get that it isnt wonky!! But seriously, i would rather buy a more expensive quality model if it means it is going to be a more reliable/useable machine

I've looked at Electra Beckum 260 which seems good, ive used an older Kity 636 which produced decent results, i was tempted by the Scheppach HMS 260 but have read bad things about setting them up being a total nightmare.

Is there any advice on a decent quality machine along the lines of the above, and does anyone have anything to offer? ANy views on the EB 260 compared with the Kity - would you say that 300 - 350 for a good quality older (say 10-15yrs old) machine is fair?

I can collect as have access to a van, live in Oxford with my workshop in Northamptonshire, and would be willing to collect from a decent range.

Grateful for any thoughts,

Tim

I have the SIP planer thicknesser (around 6 years) just replaced the drive belt this year and I would buy another SIP if for some reason it was needed.
Once the blades are set to correct position they last me a season without resetting.

You will have to budget for a chip extractor, every P/T needs one because of the sawdust that flies off the blades when running.

If you have plenty of room, and not keen on resetting, me neither, I suggest separate planer and thicknesser.

Roy.

Back