Planer blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwaithcoed

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I was given a large piece of pine counter top about 4foot long and consisting of 3 pieces glued together.

I cut it into 3 pieces along the glue lines and after checking with my metal detector and doing a visual check put it through the planer.

And yes you've guessed it I found the head of a cut nail no more than 2 or 3 mil long but big enough to put a very nasty nick in each blade.

I already had a Steve Maskery jig made for sharpening the blades which I use on a regular basis to keep the blades in good order but there was no way a diamond stone was going to take out these nicks.

As I have 3 sets of blades and have now lost my contact for grinding them I decided to experiment.

I placed them in the jig and after cleaning out my bench belt sander I ran the jig over the belt. I constantly checked they were not overheating and kept turning them end for end in case I was putting more pressure on one end than the other.

I removed them 3or 4 times and checked with my micrometer that they were being ground equal until I had removed the offending nicks.

Then using the diamond sharpener put the finishing touches to them. :D :D :D

I am very happy with the results.

Alan.

A trick for nicked blades is to move the blades sideways a few mm so the nicks do not line up. That way no track left on the wood. Saves a lot of work at times. You have managed a fix however so save that tip for next time. Nicks are a constant worry with recycled wood.
Regards
John

Latest posts

Back