Planer blades straight?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcndave

Established Member
Reaction score
I took my blades to get them sharpened, and it cost €4 so not sure what he did with them.

In any case, previously they had a little dip in the middle, when you do the "how far can you move a piece of wood with the blade" test, I was getting 5mm on each side, and 0mm in the middle.

They have come back the same.

The cutter head has an allen key bolt at each end, but no adjustment is possible in the middle.

I have seen a YT video where the guy fixed one end and then basically hammered them in place, tightening as he went along to "straighten" them, however that seems like a lot of effort, and I have not managed it.

Would you expect your blades to come back straight or is this normal? (this is my first time sharpening my planer blades, I have a scheppach HM2600)

They both look ok, however I don't really have a straight edge that will work to those tolerances.

Put the blades edge to edge and see if you can see light through the middle, hold them on a window to make sure they don't overlap.

Pete

Racers":3cab4h7o said:
Put the blades edge to edge and see if you can see light through the middle, hold them on a window to make sure they don't overlap.

Good idea. I will try that later. the one window in my shop is small, high, and extremely dirty so I get no light at all through it right now ;-)

Never mind you blades get that window cleaned :wink:

Pete

In a few weeks I move out from the 32sqm curved wall basement to my new 50sqm workshop, so I'll leave them for now :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Don't let your saw doctor get away with a poor grinding job. find out where the fault lies now. No good in several weeks time.

Any window will do, doesn't have to be one in your workshop :) In fact it doesn't even need to be a window.....

That aside, check them now, no good going back to your saw doctor in 3 weeks. Can't see it being the planer tables but you never know.

Blades are £60 odd when I looked at NMA, however I now see that woodford do them for ~£11, so it's almost not worth getting them sharpened!

You don't need a window to check planer blades, just a plain sheet of white paper on a flat surface. Push the blades together and see if the edges are straight.
A word of warning about cheap planer blades; I bought some cheap ones from eBay and they were terrible, both in steel quality and grinding. They gave exactly the problem the OP mentions and upon investigation the blades weren't at all straight....beware.

I'm talking about woodford tooling. I only heard good things about them (it's where we get our xcalibur table saws). However if anyone has experience of their planer blades I'd be happy to hear.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Window trick very good... I was holding these against a straight edge and could never be sure i had them lined up properly.

Copious amount of light in the middle, possibly 1.5mm.

Back to get them reground! Spare pair coming in the post too. Thanks all!

Latest posts

Back