Plane storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roger

Here's mine (inspired by Philly's) and I wouldn't change it. Very pleased.

DSC02697-medium.JPG

DSC02708-medium.JPG

DSC02716-medium.JPG

Funny enough, I was just thinking this week that it was about time I sorted out my handtools, particularly the planes...and was mulling over the various options...so this thread is superb.

There are some really interesting and varied ideas shown here.

I love some of the cabinets but I agree with Aled that I feel my collection is constantly evolving...so I might hybrid those two concepts...perhaps making an adaptable box...so that the shelves were moveable to increase or decrease capacity.

And Roger....that view would inspire me! I have a similar view of the North Downs currently obscured by a row of Lelandi (not mine).....now....where DID I put that chain saw!!

Jim

Shelves for me

DSCF1194.jpg

I've since managed to climb back up The Slope somewhat and reduced the number of planes I have. Although SWMBO still asks what "they" are all for. Women.

Cheers

Karl

RogerS":nnkko2r0 said:
Looking at your excellent 'wall', Rob, I can see that I appear to have tied one arm behind my back with the positioning of my bench.

wshop4.jpg

Roger,
If I had a window in my shop, that's where I would position my bench. I'd love the daylight to work by.

The Council refused me permission to put a window in the wall. It merely faced into my side entrance and the blank east wall of my neghbour's house. They refused on the grounds that should my neighbour ever wish to do the same, he wouldn't be allowed to because of my window! Gets me it really does!
:?
John

i've really enjoyed this thread, there are some lovely cabinets and planes in the photos
I am quite suprised by the amount of planes you have to hand
I have a tray i made up with my Nos 7,5,4, 9 1/2, 60 1/2 and shoulder plane in it, this is lifted on to the bench so all my everyday plane are at hand and can be lifted back into the tool cupboard ,or under the bench, when i need the whole of the bench top, all my other planes are in the cupboard on shelves, some of these planes are only used very occasionally
I think there is a tool collector in most of us, do i really need 4 block planes? but i used to work with a guy who saying was "the best tool for the job is the nearest one" and he turned out some top class work with only a hand full of tools

Karl":a4r12qrx said:
Shelves for me

DSCF1194.jpg

I've since managed to climb back up The Slope somewhat and reduced the number of planes I have. Although SWMBO still asks what "they" are all for. Women.

Cheers

Karl

Take her to her shoe-rack and ask her a similar question! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did, and SWIMBO showed me another use for a mallet!

John

Well, erm, here's mine...

3244778564_9460dea370.jpg

It is secure (I can lock it!). I've been meaning to put some drawers in below my workbench for over six-months now; I just haven't had the time. I'm also thinking of putting a sheet of ply, MDF or chipboard on the wall behind my 'bench, painting it white and hanging all my low-profile tools (mostly measuring and marking) on there - quite like Rob's 'Tool Wall' idea. Larger planes and things will have to go in the drawers, when I get around to making them.

Like you, I'm also concerned that a proper cabinet would interfere with larger projects on my bench. Until recently, my "odds'n'sodds" shelf [below] was directly behind the bench and often got in the way (then again, it sticks out about 6in.)

4241048617_484780297d.jpg

I also hang most of my hand saws off the end of the frame of my bench:

3776016244_dfc2e89ea0.jpg

(I have since raised it up a bit, so there is more clearance for the longer saws... To actually hang. :D)

By the way, was this the thread you were looking for?

I can only imagine it is easier to grab a plane that is lying on its side. But, if you are worried about projection then, I reckon you should standing them on their soles or vertically.

Reckon I've tried every option known to neanderthal, short of drilling holes in the toes and hanging 'em on a nail. At present the bulk are stored on a sloping rack installed in a regular old kitchen cabinet like this:

Or shelves:

But there are still rather a lot that are just, um, here and there. :oops:

Hi Alf,

I saw in some magazine, a woodworker who did in fact drill holes in the front of the sole and hung them on cup-hooks. :?

Not for me!

:D John

I hadn't thought of an old kitchen cabinet, but I guess there's plenty of room inside for stuff hanging on the doors, with suitable reinforced hinges. I like the idea a lot.
I'm working on a sort-of project at the moment making bits and pieces of country-style stuff (dresser tops, doors and drawers at the moment) to go on old kitchen unit carcases in my French utility room/workshop. Might be an idea for m'shed, too.

Philly":rb9cthxj said:
John
Think that was Jim Tolpin,
Philly :D

Really! Wow, that surprises me! Still not for me; it's a neat solution, but it's vandalising a casting all the same.. I shudder to think what Lie Nielsens would say!

:lol:

John

Interesting...think I need to make space for a few measuring things as well.

I'm leaning towards a simple arrangement and to make things interesting I'm going to make it only from wood that has cost me nowt. I have some nice centuries old elm ceiling rafters that I rescued from the refurb project. Should do nicely....once I've fixed the grumbly noise coming from my palner/thicknesser :cry:

I've enjoyed this thread so far so I felt the need to display my own pathetic effort which is long obsolete due to the infamous slope.

Note all the silica gel. Conditions in my part of the world are unbelievable. I'm watching a new Record BS500 age in front of my eyes...

IMG_0407.jpg

Back