plane storage question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlawrence

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I'm sure there must be a sensible answer to this but it is escaping me.

I've often been told that I should rest my planes on their side on the bench. Yet, whenever I look at peoples' storage solutions planes are 99% of the time stored resting on the sole.
Why is there a difference between bench and storage cupboards ?

tia
Jon

Hi Jon,

I have little slivers of wood glued onto my shelves at one end so theat the sole is elevated off the shelf, I suspect most people do the same.

jlawrence":2p72rqdd said:
Hi everyone.
I'm sure there must be a sensible answer to this but it is escaping me.

I've often been told that I should rest my planes on their side on the bench. Yet, whenever I look at peoples' storage solutions planes are 99% of the time stored resting on the sole.
Why is there a difference between bench and storage cupboards ?

tia
Jon

The "on the side" thing seems to come from schooldays; it's intended to prevent damage to the blade from the bench, and (contrariwise) damage to the bench from the blade.

Of course, the blade is still exposed to being contacted by things other than the bench surface, so the solution is not at all perfect.

Many people now prefer to have the plane "sole down", both on the bench and in storage. This make the blade inaccessible and safe.

Apart from contact with the surface it's resting on. The blade can be protected easily from this by just having "something" under the toe of the plane.

Some people just use whatever shavings are around, other use a scrap of thin wood.

My plane storage area (under my bench) has a long lath.

Short summary: rest your plane sole down, with "something" under the toe.

BugBear

woodbloke":3gqomdny said:
jlawrence":3gqomdny said:
OK, that's exactly what I do - rest it down on the sole with 'something' under the toe just to lift it a fraction.
+1 - Rob

+2 viz

DSC_0002.JPG

Mine are oak offcuts...about 1/2" square and as long as the shelf is deep...must get down to fixing them one day but keep moving the planes about so not sure I need to really.....

Jim

Ciao,
For metal planes storage I prefer to retract the blade and resetting when I have to reuse it. This setting requests just few moments.
For wooden planes, where the iron setting could be more troubleshooting, I agree resting it down on the sole with 'something' under the toe is the better solution.
When in use I keep them on side on the bench during work pauses

Giuliano :D

jimi43":zr3x8qgc said:
...must get down to fixing them one day but keep moving the planes about so not sure I need to really.....

Jim
...that's 'cos you're collecting them Jim :p :lol: - Rob

Back