plane question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erik

Established Member
Reaction score
hi
i am trying to improve the quality and range of my hand planes but i cannot justify spending the sort of money required for a clifton, veritas or lie nielson (as much as i would love to). as a result i feel i must resort to 'the well known auction site' to try and find decent second hand examples of the more common varieties.
i know that age and condition are important considerations but my question is.....which is the better quality?? stanley? record? marples? bailey? bedrock?
regards
erik

Generally the older the plane, the better quality the metalwork is going to be.

My preference is for Stanley, Record and at a push Footprint.
Bedrock is a superior, variant design of the Stanley and they fetch silly money on the fleabay.

I will make you the same offer I made someone else with the same question a few weeks ago. I have a Record No. 4 (Smoothing Plane) which is of Pre WW11 vintage. It has the full-face frog. It cuts ok, but it needs fettling to improve it. If you are prepared to read up on fettling the Stanley/Record type planes, a No 4 shouldn't present you with too many problems.

If you are interested, PM me and I will root it out and send you some pics. I am saving to justify buying something nice and shiny from LN, but I won't ask the Earth for this plane. Fair enough Erik?

(Post Free in UK)

Regards

John :)

not tried them myself but what about the Quangsheng Planes from workshopheaven

hi john
thanks for the reply...pm sent

clk230
yes ive been looking at the Quangshengs, the prices are right but the reviews that i have seen are mixed. having said that, the Low Angle Rebating Block Plane has caught my eye.

erik":2uc2zfu4 said:
......., the Low Angle Rebating Block Plane has caught my eye.

Watch this space. I've just finished evaluating this with Tom (Wizer) and a review with lots of pics is on it's way.

hi

all the makers name mentioned are good quality ,it's really down to your choice, or what appears at the right time and at the right price, the older the tool the better the steel quality .hc

what size plane is it your after? Record did a stay set version, this resolving any chatter whilst planing? still unfound with myself.

I have all types and sizes of planes available for purchase should anyone be interested regards Gary oldschooltools.co.uk

Back