Plane Making

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's about why I do it Alf - same principle as the 'spring' in a caul for distributing clamping pressure - only in this case the workpiece is a 'self-cauling jig' - does that sound impressive?

Shady":3syc0kjk said:
does that sound impressive?
A bit more impressive than "warped" :cry: :? :lol:

Anyone like to explain how spring works in a 12 in wide x 3 in thick worktop plank, then? :twisted:

Scrit

Scrit":3ex2mnsl said:
Anyone like to explain how spring works in a 12 in wide x 3 in thick worktop plank, then? :twisted:
My pleasure. First provide me with at least one dozen 12 x 3 planks of a suitable premium hardwood and I'll start testing the theory immediately. :D

And for Shady: :roll:

Cheers, Alf

MikeW":139x5d02 said:
You assume clamps didn't exist in the old shops? Must be really old shops. They've existed for longer than I've been able to trace my ancestors.

There were a lot of shops that would not own many sash cramps before the mid 20th C. especially amateurs. With traditional rubbed joints andhot glue, they only needed to lean the unclamped joined boards against two battens resting against a wall at about 20 degrees to the vertical, and let gravity do the rest. Then of course there were the "dogs" whacked into the end grain. A sprung joint could not be used in either instance.

Back