Plane fettling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, it's a lost cause then? I have to hire a machinist or buy the equipment and learn how to scrape a surface?

I use a straight edge and sandpaper on a block of wood. It gets my planes flat enough.

Thanks Paul

Never had to do it so never considered it .
Just all seems bit excessive to me and I wonder what was done to the sole previously.
I’ve never had a plane from any manufacturer- Record, Stanley, Veritas or Quangsheng that needed so much work.

Thanks Paul

Never had to do it so never considered it .
Just all seems bit excessive to me and I wonder what was done to the sole previously.
I’ve never had a plane from any manufacturer- Record, Stanley, Veritas or Quangsheng that needed so much work.
It’s all in the realms of deminishing returns. As with anything there is a “good enough” point that meets 98% of needs. I’ve scraped a couple of planes purely because I could and it was what I was into at the time (making planes). Generally now I just use them as I have a fairly comprehensive set to meet my needs. Frankly unless I was engaging in competitive shavings I wouldn’t be too concerned with the sole provided it appears flat against a straight edge.

Best thing to do is carry on flattening the sole untill there is none left, then the plane really sits well on the wood and the blade is right down onto the surface and you can take shavings you cant see.....

Aet1,
do you have planes with 1.5 thousands tolerance? If don't, then what is it, +/-2, +/- 3 thousands?

That was the original question, how flat (I would also add in what direction) does a plane need to be to be functional?

Is it coupled with technique? What technique?

According to Jacob, you can get a straight edge with whatever you have and you only need good technique. Which sounds like a bogus claim when you can't state whether your plane is flat or not. For all I know his planes are all flat.

I found a Bedrock #6 with better than 1.5 thousands flatness, as found. The plane works very well. Should I attribute the performance of this plane solely to my technique?
I could get a board edge flat with a block plane and straight edge if that was all I had.
It’s all to do with knowledge and practice not how many thou your plane’s out by.

I could get a board edge flat with a block plane and straight edge if that was all I had.
It’s all to do with knowledge and practice not how many thou your plane’s out by.
Is it a good enough edge for a seamless joint?

Flat and straight to the eye is good in some cases, but not all.

According to your point of view, jointer planes are unnecessary.

Is it a good enough edge for a seamless joint?

Flat and straight to the eye is good in some cases, but not all.

According to your point of view, jointer planes are unnecessary.
Of course, I do this for a living.

You didn’t read my response correctly did you.

And I go back to the original question, is it necessary to flatten a plane to get, for example, good joints?

Yes, no, it depends?

Whatever the answer is, why?

I don't want to sound disrespectful, but I don't care for "i do this for a living" appeals to authority.

If a block plane and a rule can do the job, why? Is that a recommended method? Do you use that method?

Sandpaper, a block of wood and a rule can probably do the job too. I would not offer that as an alternative.

And I go back to the original question, is it necessary to flatten a plane to get, for example, good joints?

Yes, no, it depends?

I don't want to sound disrespectful, but I don't care for "i do this for a living" appeals to authority.

If a block plane and a rule can do the job, why? Is that a recommended method? Do you use that method?

Sandpaper, a block of wood and a rule can probably do the job too. I would not offer that as an alternative.
I could ride a horse to work every day if I chose to, admittedly It would take more time but still get me to my destination.
Thankfully there are quicker more convenient ways to go about it so I choose not to, however, should my car not work, public transport be on strike, bike had a puncture and my only option would be my trusty steed…

Yes, no, it depends?
No but it might help.
For all the obvious reasons
It's not an appeal to authority. Google "argumentum ad verecundiam".
If that's all you had that's what you'd use. Not difficult to understand is it?
You might if it was the best option, due to lack of alternatives.

giphy.gif

Back in 1981 planes needed to be flat to British Standard is BS 3623:1981 Specification for Woodworkers’ Metal-Bodied Planes, .0015". I don't understand British Standards but I believe this has now been withdrawn, so maybe they don't need to be anymore.

Back in 1981 planes needed to be flat to British Standard is BS 3623:1981 Specification for Woodworkers’ Metal-Bodied Planes, .0015". I don't understand British Standards but I believe this has now been withdrawn, so maybe they don't need to be anymore.
That is so 1981! I’ve watched, literally dozens of YouTubers this past weekend and they have overcome all plane problems mainly by ”Astro sharpening”. I did not send in my $1.98 and two box tops to get the special instruction, but I will this week.

agree with this, this is all that matters really with planes, it's the skill of the user, also we're not engineers we are woodworkers, it's easy to get carried away.

Well, what do you know? I am an engineer. Trust me, I do this for a living, I'm not dazzled by accuracy specs.

My father was a cabinet maker, I grew up in his shop. He showed me the value of using the tools you have at hand. Once, while visiting me, he made me a coffee table out of bubinga, with mouldings. He didn't use an electric router or a moulding plane. I don't know how he made them, he probably used the table saw, chisels, and sandpaper. It probably took him a long time, but he enjoyed doing things for me.

If all I had were a block plane and a straight edge, I'd go to IKEA.

Well, what do you know? I am an engineer. Trust me, I do this for a living, I'm not dazzled by accuracy specs.

My father was a cabinet maker, I grew up in his shop. He showed me the value of using the tools you have at hand. Once, while visiting me, he made me a coffee table out of bubinga, with mouldings. He didn't use an electric router or a moulding plane. I don't know how he made them, he probably used the table saw, chisels, and sandpaper. It probably took him a long time, but he enjoyed doing things for me.

If all I had were a block plane and a straight edge, I'd go to IKEA.
that explains a lot! regards, Ben.

Back