Plane fettling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going back to my diagram, I hope that it illustrates that even with the flattest plane in the world it won’t stop you from (a) taking off too much at the start of a cut, (b) planing a hollow in the middle of the board and (c) creating a slight bump or hollow as the blade leaves the wood at the far end.

The original British Standard wasn’t conjured out of thin air. I’d leave it at that.

Going back to my diagram, I hope that it illustrates that even with the flattest plane in the world it won’t stop you from (a) taking off too much at the start of a cut, (b) planing a hollow in the middle of the board and (c) creating a slight bump or hollow as the blade leaves the wood at the far end.

The original British Standard wasn’t conjured out of thin air. I’d leave it at that.
When planing an edge, a shaving of around 2+ thousands is taken, that's the short side of the rectangle in your diagram. The other sides of the rectangle are at least 16" long, distance from mouth to heel on a no. 7 or 8. If the plane is flat within Lie Nielsen specs, +/- 1.5 thousands, then error in the flatness of the plane is comparable to sgavings thickness. I don't think we're demonstrating anything with the diagram.

I have not said anything against any british standards in my replies.

Were these standards quoted earlier? Can you indicate what these are?

*The LN 1.5 thousands spec is "0.0015 or better regardless of length"

When planing an edge, a shaving of around 2+ thousands is taken,
I plane with a cambered edge so my shavings will vary from as thick as possible (or as necessary) in the middle to approaching zero at the edges. With my scrub plane I can probably get 1mm or more in the middle i.e. 40 thou.

I plane with a cambered edge so my shavings will vary from as thick as possible (or as necessary) in the middle to approaching zero at the edges. With my scrub plane I can probably get 1mm or more in the middle i.e. 40 thou.
I also have varying degrees of camber on my planes,depending on their purpose.

Let's limit the discussion to edge planing.

Perhaps I’m missing something but it feels like this thread is disappearing down a worm hole.

Is a flat sole better than a wonky one - yes.

Does a flat dole compensate for not knowing how to use a plane effectively - probably not so you would notice.

How flat does a plane sole need to be - as flat as you want it to be but for most of us it quickly reaches a point that’s not worth worrying about.

There doesn’t seem to be much more to say on the matter.

Back