Plane auction - who's coming?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil where were you sitting I was looking for forum type fellas but couldn't pick any likely candidates out?

The auctioneer was excellent, I thought he worked very hard. He started at ten and didn't stop all day.

Top bloke.

Escudo. Stripy jumper. PITA who kept going out for tea and cigarette.
Sat behind the yank some of the time.

Funny, I said to Pete wonder if there are any of us there. Nah, he said. Turns out it was full of UK Forum!!

Cheers

Neil

Escudo":38cgc3hm said:
I am worried I may have gone to the dark "collector" side :shock: :shock:

It is bad but I feel good.
:)
Nothing wrong with the 'dark side' Tony...welcome :lol: :lol: - Rob

Ironballs":3uwxqy4s said:
Oh dear, I think I got a bit carried away, must keep away from Mike Garnham :oops:

So which of of those annoying :))) net bidders were you then - 42389 or 15778?

They both seemed to win a great many lots.
This was the first time I'd been to an auction with net bidding and it seemed quite odd with them bidding the price up against each other ... :)

Ach Pete, sour grapes from the fella who got a no7 for 20 odd quid!! :wink:

I've got your chisels here mate, see you soon!

Neil

So, today I got an earlyish Stanley 5 1/2 in fantastic condition (never used), a brand new Victor Dovetail saw (which I paid retail for, but needed so...), 32 spokeshaves and these -
DSC01153.jpg

DSC01154.jpg

DSC01155.jpg

All for a tenner. Thats a few Spear and Jackson Tenons, in various guises, the black one is a S + J black prince, the black handle is a Stanley, the bottom left in the pic of all of 'em is a Toga, the padsaw is a Roberts and Lee, the floorboard saw is a Tyzack.
8 saws, none of 'em have ever seen, let alone touched, a bit of wood. And I didn't pay fees either!! (fringe benefits!!) Kinda makes up for the price I paid for the Victor.

Hope everyone else who went is happy with their goodies! I was gonna star ta new thread to gloat, but I am not like that! :wink:

Happy days

Neil
[/img]

Well done Neil, great haul of saws there.

I missed out on a few items today (left bids yesterday). :cry:

The collection of Bridge City squares, which caught my eye went for £190.

I put in a bid for a box of hammers and missed out by one bid, same story regarding, some callipers and a roll of bradawls.

Still I got some Robert Sorby chisels for a bargain £30.

I am planning to make an appearance for the sale on the 11th, perhaps we can organise a get together then.

All the best, Tony.

Think you were sat next to me, at the back. Spoke to me as you left?
Madness isn't it? We could do with those badges.

The Victor handsaws looked nice, didn't they?

Cheers mate

Neil

No that wasn't me Neil.

I am sure we can plan something for next time. The badges are a great idea for events like this.

What are you going to do with all those saws? They are a bargain, and 32 spokeshaves to boot.

I spent this afternoon playing with my Veritas 4.5 smoother, really pleased I got that one.

Cheers, Tony.

I had hoped to end up with some turning tools today, but all the ones I wanted went for too much.
I'd my eye on the LN saws and veritas planes but they went for too much...
Overall a much more frustrating day than yesterday...

BUT...

I finally got a compass plane :)
Stanley Victor 20 for £35. The next lot for a slightly cleaner copy went for £60 :)
Both much cheaper than the record ones sold yesterday.

Oh yeah, and 86 metres of wide skirting board for £70.
Just right for some simple pine furniture :)

Tony -
A lot of people musta bid for those bradawls. And I liked the look of those squares too, the larger one with the split slide (side by side) was nice.

Which Sorbys did you get? The hammers sold very well; there was a great deal of interest in them. My friend was going to have a punt on 'em, but didn't get a bid in before they shot up!!

Tony, why would you need 30 bradawls? :shock:

Neil

PS - whilst everyone was so busy in the hand tools sale I managed to get my hands on an ex-hire shop cordless sds drill for 12quid. With 2 x 24v Nimh batts, all in good working order! Been after on for yonks!! So, all in all a good 2 day sale.

I hope everyone enjoyed their day out in Bedford, the weather welcomed you all, didn't it? And, although I would've liked to see stuff sell for less (advertising put paid to that) I guess most folk were happy with what they got. In reality you will never have any reason to come back to Bedford, which for you folks is probly a good thing :wink:

Made my trip down yesterday in the sun to pick my stuff up, also called in at St Neots to pick up a bulky ebay purchase. Was annoyed to see those compass planes go for so little as I'd had a bid on the Record ones the day before but stopped when they got silly.

Will post some pics up later, everything needs a hone and a fettle and a couple of items need a mild restoration.

Nice to wander round the other auctions taking place but the parking was a complete nightmare

Hi all,
I was the who kept getting bollocked by the auctioneer for taking too long on 'net bidding! :oops:
Very weird experience because as two netbids hit within microseconds of each other the apparent jump was twice what one was expecting, plus the 18% drip for net bidders made it awkward, plus the room bid preference.
All in all very interesting, bought about 40 lots, several compass planes and sheds of spokeshaves and levels but the Preston stuff was very dear indeed.
Thought the 51/52 was cheap and the LN stuff was reasonable.
Tried to get the smaller stuff as I have to have them sent to me down in the depths here!
Very hard if you have not been to view as you have to take a lot on trust and a small crappy picture, still, if you can't take a joke, don't join! :lol:
Cheers,
Martin

Difficult bidding on the net when the bid price button often bore little relationship to the current bid – I wasn’t going to press it when showing £200 and the bid in the room was £30, just in case several net bids jacked the price up in microseconds.

As it was I overbid to win a compass plane, presumably because the net price changed microseconds before my “click” was registered.

Not surprising the net bids were late as the auctioneer didn’t see them directly. He was relying on someone in the room watching a laptop screen and getting their hand up or shouting to register the bid.
As was said before, an interesting experience.

I have a few pictures from the preview day on Wednesday. I will post them up when I can workout how to get them from my phone.

I didn't find the parking at all troublesome. Plenty of spaces in The Castle pub car park, opposite the auction house. I made sure I popped in for a pint.

Martin I had a good look at that Stanley 52. It had been repainted at some time but was in otherwise good condition. The holdown was also there (I did some research and these are often missing).

I wonder if someone will make a profit on that by selling it on, perhaps in America?

The Robert Sorby chisels I scooped where lots 756 and 757. Both for £30.
Good saving there.

I liked the look of those bradawls, in the roll. One for each day of the month. :wink:

I am already looking forward to the sales coming up in April. Hopefully some more bargains to scoop.

Cheers, Tony.

Think I was in picking my bits up when those lots came up, lots of turning chisels (no pun intended).

Any road first up I got a couple of shoulder planes, couple of bits of minor damage on the record but the LN is mint

lespaul004.jpg

Got little and large too, both good prices. The No 22 has some nasty brown paint on the handles which i'll take off, looks like there's plenty of varnish underneath. Blade couldn't cut butter so needs some work to get it into use

lespaul006.jpg

This was the lot I was most interested in, missed out on the other luthier plane lot as it was went for more than I wanted. Nice little set, one needs a blade and will be using these on the guitar I'm doing now

lespaul007.jpg

And the one that might earn me my collector badge.... I don't actually need another smoother as I have the LV BUS and this was a an impulse buy as it was going cheap. It's an un-named old smoother, though has some striking maker marks in a couple of places. Blade needs work, sole might not be 100% flat and the handles have been painted. So a mild resto and it will then go into use. Honest. Really

lespaul009.jpg

Mike wrote:
Repent, sinner, repent!
Well, there I was , ready to be taken on high to the mountain top in full repentance mood, and guess what? Tripped A over T on a crate full of planes and ended up at the bottom of the slope again! :? :lol:

Think I may be what is called a lost cause, only have 3, (soon to be 4!) sheds full of stuff, - plus of course the WS......

Anyone want a compass plane? , or a 51/52..... or a 10 1/4.....444.... :p
Cheers,
Martin

Back