PIR Insulation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristol_Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to buy some 100mm PIR insulation.

Has anyone researched this recently and have any recommendation of suppler (that delivers to the south west)?

I'm looking for best value.

I believe most PIR to be of similar quality. Especially as it's for a shed!

TIA

https://www.homelogic.co.uk/what-is-jablite-insulation-and-what-does-it-offer.
depends really on your structure and what you are doing in there. If you are cutting to fix between ceiling joists and studs both will have to be a snug fit, both will impact on thermal resistance of wiring. I have used both, celotex I cross battened to hold in ceiling joists and jablite I plaster boarded whole ceiling with white hardboard on walls as jablite not good with heat or fire. Of the wiring I brought that to the surface in plastic conduit. Of the ceiling I do prefer it fully boarded. Never had a fire in garage. Both do a job one being cheaper than the other.

Jablite(expanded polystyrene) and PIR are different materials. PIR is a better insulator, roughly 70mm PIR equals 100mm EPS.

100mm PIR is a lot of insulation! If your shed is only heated for short periods when you are in there I expect it’s overkill, if constantly heated then perhaps it will pay for itself in time. I put 70mm of Rockwool in my shed wall/roof/floor and this has made it usable all year with a small fan heater for the first 30mins and just my bodyheat after that.

If you go for EPS be aware of any pvc electrical cables as the PVC and EPS can interact and result in cable or insulation damage.

Fitz.

Jablite(expanded polystyrene) and PIR are different materials. PIR is a better insulator, roughly 70mm PIR equals 100mm EPS.

100mm PIR is a lot of insulation! If your shed is only heated for short periods when you are in there I expect it’s overkill, if constantly heated then perhaps it will pay for itself in time. I put 70mm of Rockwool in my shed wall/roof/floor and this has made it usable all year with a small fan heater for the first 30mins and just my bodyheat after that.

If you go for EPS be aware of any pvc electrical cables as the PVC and EPS can interact and result in cable or insulation damage.

Fitz.
Good to know.

All my electrical cables will be surface mounted. Nothing will be in the walls, floors or ceiling.

👍

Back