Pine Wardrobes for Attic Room

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradNaylor

Established Member
Reaction score
This week's was one of those jobs where half the work was in working out how the hell you were going to do it!

The clients wanted fitted pine wardrobes in their attic bedroom, accessed up a tiny narrow staircase. This is what I came up with;

PeterBird009.jpg

PeterBird008.jpg

Two days making, one day waxing, two days fitting.

Nice week.

Cheers
Dan

I can get my head around making it in 2 days, but I just can not relate to fitting something like that in 2 days. 2 months might have seen my get there!

Well done Dan

Very good Dan,

Am I right in thinking that you made this in 3 "panels" (frames with doors within), seperate from either loose shelving or carcasses behind?

Does the top left hand door open? If so, have you left them some Polyfilla for the ceiling??!! :D

Mike

Mike Garnham":3g8f3mmt said:
Very good Dan,

Am I right in thinking that you made this in 3 "panels" (frames with doors within), seperate from either loose shelving or carcasses behind?

Does the top left hand door open? If so, have you left them some Polyfilla for the ceiling??!! :D

Mike

There are no carcasses behind the frames Mike, just dividers between the 3 frames to provide stability.

The top left hand door is hinged to the door next to it, making a 'bi-fold' door. This avoids the point hitting the ceiling!

Cheers
Dan

Nice job, like them a lot.

When fitting things to uneven surfaces its often a difficult call to decide upon how to do it.

To my eye the bottom trim looks strange like that, with the uneven line on the frames. I think id have been tempted to cut a taper on it.... :oops:

Nice work, Dan. In saying two-days, I reckon you actually mean "forty-eight hours" of work...? :wink: Is that a small pile of sawdust in the left-hand corner??? :D :wink: :)

Very impressive what sort of wax did you use

I am making a chest of drawers and would like a similar finish

davin":2wrqatou said:
Very nice job.
Just wondering how you go about measuring or templating the space, assuming nothing is level or plumb - what did you use as a datum..

I just measured the angles of the roof slope, walls & ceiling with a sliding bevel and transferred them to a big piece of paper.

Back in the workshop I drew out the shape full size on a sheet of MDF laid on my bench and the used that as a guide while I built the frames and doors.

When I came to fit the frames I simply squared and levelled them, packing out any gaps between the frames and the floor and walls with blocks of wood temporally scrwed to the back of the frames.

The plinth and cornice hides all manner of gaps!

And yes, the inside top corner of the second top door from the left had to be planed down to allow it to swing open.

Cheers
Dan

Back