Pine Wardrobes for Attic Room

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your replies Dan.
One more stupid question if you don`t mind.
Pine, I pressume you don`t buy Pine for a project like that in B and Q.
Do you buy form a timber merchant. Is is sold like hardwood, ie waney edged properly kilned and furniture grade?
thanks again

davin":1k5958h8 said:
Thanks for your replies Dan.
One more stupid question if you don`t mind.
Pine, I pressume you don`t buy Pine for a project like that in B and Q.
Do you buy form a timber merchant. Is is sold like hardwood, ie waney edged properly kilned and furniture grade?
thanks again

I got this from my usual timber yard. It's something called 5ths sawn 1" Redwood.

It came in 4.8m lengths and 150mm wide. Every piece was dead straight - unusual for pine!

I was very pleased with it - I managed to get 22mm planed timber out of 1" stock. It was also nice and dry.

For the door panels I used bought-in 8mm redwood panels from Pennine Timber in Middleton, Manchester.

Dan

Thats a lovely job Dan. I'm wondering if you had as many probs scribing the crown moulding as I did when I made something similar;
2722964158_f6e23754bd.jpg

It was the radius where the ceiling curves that caused me many probs. I have to say yours looks a lot neater :)

Dan Tovey":3qvshxk1 said:
Mike Garnham":3qvshxk1 said:
Very good Dan,

Am I right in thinking that you made this in 3 "panels" (frames with doors within), seperate from either loose shelving or carcasses behind?

Does the top left hand door open? If so, have you left them some Polyfilla for the ceiling??!! :D

Mike

There are no carcasses behind the frames Mike, just dividers between the 3 frames to provide stability.

The top left hand door is hinged to the door next to it, making a 'bi-fold' door. This avoids the point hitting the ceiling!

Cheers
Dan

Middle and off? Nice over Dan!

:lol: :lol:
Sorry Mike. Couldn't resist.

:)

DangerousDave":1xqlkhew said:
Thats a lovely job Dan. I'm wondering if you had as many probs scribing the crown moulding as I did when I made something similar;
2722964158_f6e23754bd.jpg

It was the radius where the ceiling curves that caused me many probs. I have to say yours looks a lot neater :)

I just played around with a couple of short offcuts of cornice - got the angles right and mitre-fixed them together before shaping the outside edge with a jigsaw and block plane to fit the curve of the ceiling.

When it was right I traced the outline onto the real cornice and shaped that.

Mitre-fix is a wonderful thing...

Dan

Back