Pine door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifthwheel

Reaction score
Hi all, we had some Victorian interior doors dipped and stripped some twenty years ago all ok apart from one door.
This one is badly out of shape it has a bad twist. When the bottom of the door is closed the top is around 40mm open.
Is it possible to rectify this by putting the door under pressure and maybe steam or will I have to live with it. Thanks John.

I've seen a description in an old Charles Hayward book of a method to fix a warped door. You make sawcuts on the concave side of the curve and hammer in suitable wedges, with glue, to straighten the wood back to flat. When the glue has dried you plane the wedges down flush and paint the door.

If you think this might help I'll try and find the full text, with the pictures.

Thanks for the replies, The wedges hammered in I must admit I had never thought of, any pics or advice would be more than welcome. I will have a look tomorrow and post back if it looks like its worth a try. john.

Ok, here's the method from the book. I've never tried it, so it would be nice to know if it works for you.

IMG_20170612_201934082_zpswp8tx8kz.jpg

IMG_20170612_201947629_zpsueqdfkj8.jpg

I may not have read it he text correctly, and I'm interpreting it to say you wedge the convex side of the door. It may be my incorrect understanding of the text as I would have thought wedging on the concave side (underneath) would have been the solution?

It says you put "the hollow side of the stile upwards" and make cuts on that side.

The wedges are forced in, which would make the hollow (concave) side longer, straightening it.

Seems logical to me.

Thank you for going to the trouble posting the pics I cant do it for a while yet but it does look interesting. I will post my results, thanks john.

Latest posts

Back