Pickling your own onions - last post?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst I'll try most things at least once, I've never found eggs that attractive as pickles. But thanks for the warning about social ostracism.
:)

A quick warning to picklers - I bought (last year) onions, malt vinegar and spirit vinegar in gallons from a market. I didn't have a problem because I usually mix the two vinegars (pure malt is a little strong for eggs), but some while later I noticed on the label of the spirit one the following - "not for pickling use". It's not acid enough. This is only one (catering) brand, but keep an eye out. I wouldn't have thought many people would buy gallons of vinegar for anything other than pickling, though.

A good and important point Phil. The acidity is very important for safety sake as it is what restricts or eliminates bacterial contamination. As with power tools , always read understand and follow expert advice when canning , pickling or preserving. Bacteriafight dirty.

NickWelford":2ycrcw4s said:
I'm sure there are sloes still on the bushes here. Shall I harvest them for you?

Yes please Nick, that's very kind of you. And before you send them to me, can you soak them in gin for a couple of months please?
:)
S

The only thing I pickle is finger chillies, I just cut them in half length wise and pop them in the jar, I top up the vinegar (cider usually) so it gets stronger as the years go by!

Pete

Back