Disston saws, like buses!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ED65

Established Member
Reaction score
As far as I know I've never seen a Disston for sale in all the car boots I've gone to, although there's always the chance I didn't recognise one under a layer of rust and general filth. Anyway, wouldn't you know it I spotted two for sale on the same day last week.

One was a keyhole saw in quite good condition for its age, from the medallion it dates from between the wars.

IJt3Wd1.jpg

The seller was asking a bit more than I'd want to pay (similar to prices on ebay) so I passed. I don't have need of a keyhole saw anyway, that's what I keep telling myself.

Later that afternoon in a bric-a-brac shop I just spotted this as I was heading out the door, hanging from a nail in a dark corner:

KhXbBIo.jpg

The proprietor saw me inspecting it and said I could take it away with me but I wanted to pay something for it so we settled on €2. To be honest I didn't even know what I had because of the bad lighting, and you can see the condition, so regardless of the condition I was still very pleased to read the Disston name once I got it home. I've been after a dovetail saw for a long time, finding a Disston of a good age that could fit the bill I didn't even dream about.

Although as I should have learned already you should be careful what you wish for, I didn't know what I was in for cleaning it up. Just about every aspect of the refurb work was a struggle, starting with getting the screws undone (no suitable screwdriver so had to improvise, luckily I had a strip of putty knife in the 'bits that might be useful' tray that fitted perfectly), then getting the handle off which was firmly rusted in place, then levering the back off which I thought wasn't going to move without damaging something.

My first inkling that the back was brass, although the weight should have tipped me off I guess. I didn't know brass could even go so uniformly dark on its own but a century is a long time.

ZeWhaez.jpg

Seeing the four holes I presume the saw plate is not original but never mind.

On the plus side the varnish on the wood had given up the ghost sometime when I were a lad so it was a breeze to scrape away what little was left. Much of it was so far gone you could scrape it off with your thumbnail, which is a new one on me.

5msVVd5.jpg

Scraped:

mUVmK2y.jpg

Washed and sanded:

KTFCHJU.jpg

And here it is after more work than I would have liked:

RUNj4hm.jpg

The saw plate protected by the spine was pristine and measures a firm 0.025", between rust and cleaning the blade lost a fairly consistent 0.005" but that's still plenty thick enough.

PXEPtlr.jpg

Obviously this could do with having completely new teeth filed in it but I've never sharpened a saw before so I wasn't up for that and I did the best I could with what was there. The tooth count is lower than I'd like but it saws fast and leaves a surprisingly good surface, and after a light set and stoning the toothline it cuts straight and true so I'm well chuffed.

Transformation! Well done Ed. I don't know about saw set and so on but you've done a fantastic job on the rest of it. I hope you're very pleased. =D>

It's always good to see a basket case turned into a useful tool again. Well done!

You've really worked hard on that saw. Brilliant transformation!!!!! Job well done.

Coley

That's a great job, love seeing the transformation.

It's reminded me that I have 8 or 10 old saws, some of which are Disston, various shapes and sizes. I bought them at years ago intending to restore but never got around to it so must research to see what they are and get them sold to someone who will appreciate them.

Lons":3o4r4ks1 said:
That's a great job, love seeing the transformation.

It's reminded me that I have 8 or 10 old saws, some of which are Disston, various shapes and sizes. I bought them at years ago intending to restore but never got around to it so must research to see what they are and get them sold to someone who will appreciate them.

Likewise. Same sort of number. It seems everyone wants them ... until you offer them. :?

Great job! Saws seem to be one of the more strenuous tools to bring back, I am still putting off that 6ft two man one I have in the shed :roll:

Thanks all!

MarkDennehy":19eqw8dg said:
Make sure you don't show those photos to the shopkeep :)
Yes probably best not to do that with any seller :)

I've only bought two tools from this gent and by complete chance both turned out to be early and American. The first was a Sweetheart-era spokeshave which I got for modest money after haggling, like with the saw I suspect it had been passed on by other tool buyers. He has a few tool hounds among his regulars apparently who hear about a new batch of tools coming in and descend like vultures, picking the shop clean of all the choice stuff. So I'm presuming they couldn't make out the SW in the poor light inside the shop same as I couldn't or it would have been snapped up before I got there, as with the 20 planes I missed by one day #-o

Back