(Picked up Today)... Floor standing morticer (Multico)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkinnyB

Established Member
Reaction score
(Details on the morticer I picked up in later posts with photos!)

Hi,

Wondering if anyone would be able to answer my questing.
I have just brought a floorstanding Multico morticer.

What are the chances of getting it into a boot of a fairly large car with 3 people. Split the morticer into 2 parts of course.
Mainly the weight of lifting it in really. Probably put something solid on the boot floor so it can slide in.

What would you recon?

One of these into a qashqai:

With three of you I wouldn't expect any problems. I have the same machine (M1) and recently had to replace the counterbalance cable. I'm no longer strong enough to lift out the counterweight singlehanded but was able to lay the machine down to near horizontal to slide it out and then lift the machine upright again after the new cable was fitted. I think that sliding the business part of the machine up a plank is a good idea.

Yes, I don't think that'll be a problem.

There's normally a counterweight to balance the head, on most morticers there's a way of securing it to stop it flopping around in transit. But some blankets or packing stuffed up the column once the base is off should do the job.

Nice machine, did it come with the different sized collets for the different size augers?

Dead easy, You can split the actual bulk of the machine from the base. 3 people should lift it easily with the counterweight in, but if not you can take it out and take the head off easy enough.

Although I prefer the Sedgwick morticers much more, far more solid and no clattering of the weight as it goes up and down like on the Multicos I've used, the older Sedgwicks had spring balances which are much nicer.

Thanks everyone. exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the tips. I shall employ them!

Accessories wise I'm not to sure yet. Listing stated extra chisels and sharpeners so hopefully there will be some collets. If not I will use my works lathe to make some if they are not too complicated.

Thanks!

Picked up the Morticer today. Very happy with it. Came with a few extras I had not noticed on the listing. Got it for £175 + fuel and lunch out on top of that. More on lunch later...

39888203083_40b5c6fdc4_c.jpg

These were a nice surprise. Original Multico unused/barely used sharpening set in boxes. Got three sized countersinks with corresponding guides. Any one know what drives the countersinks? Manual/Electric? And is there a name for the square drive on these?

Also came with the bushings. Now I have seen them I will probably make some fresh ones on the lathe, just in case.

31911770987_0118b3d3ba_c.jpg

32977716678_c9e4f74836_c.jpg

46853079031_fdbe4d60bb_c.jpg

Four chisels too. I need to clean them up but I can see at least one has Multico on it.
Interesting the largest one does not have a sharp tip on the drill part, it may be broken but could not see and broken edges.

39888203333_8555cc707c_c.jpg

Going to change it to 240v and get an inverter to run it.
Was comparing the specs on the cheap morticer I already have. Interesting how this morticer runs at 2820rpm. My cheap morticer runs a 1400 rpm, I wonder if that's the reason it never worked as I expected it.

31911771257_579f073604_c.jpg

All of the plastic adjustments knobs are broken in some way, I will 3D print some new ones for it.

39888202873_dd772fd81e_c.jpg

45938495355_53e74941ba_c.jpg

Serial Number:

32977717048_04e4ca48b7_c.jpg

Going to strip it down and make one of my usual threads on it.
My plan is to go with a paint job something like this:

It will match my planer I did in the summer.here

31911996177_baa2108955_z.jpg

Lunch:
And.... Nothing sums up picking up a big bit of manly machinery like this strawberry milkshake does!

46853307311_e79e34b39c_c.jpg

The sharpening tools are rotated with an old fashioned carpenters brace. I have one that fits in a drill chuck, it's far to easy to take off to much with that.

Perfect thanks Pete, Just googled hand brace and it tuns out I may actually have one already. Just need to find it.

Those bit sharpeners are actually Clico ones (supplied to Multico at one time) and they are getting as rare as hens teeth, they very commonly fetch about £100 a set on Ebay so that was probably worth the trip alone for 3 of them! The "J" marking on the boxes denotes that they're for Japanese Pattern Chisels, which have a different, sharper chisel angle than the old English pattern ones. English Pattern bits tend to not have the central nib on the auger whilst Japanese ones do. I personally prefer the newer Japanese chisels, they cut better and last longer in my experience, Especially the Harima "NH" Chisels from Scott and Sargeant.

Also, whatever those Multico handles were made from was absolute pants, I've seen quite a lot that have been completely broken and replaced.

How much hassle did you have getting it into the Qashqai?

Thanks Trevanion! Ill be keeping those safe then! I will need to give the Japanese chisels a clean up to see any makers mark, hopefully they are the the same high quality as the other bits.

I will give the current tooling a go after a sharpen to see what results I get, I have an upcoming job that may require a different size so will invest in one of those NH chisels you mentioned.

Fitted fine in the car, unscrewed the four bolts that separate the machine. Then one of us either side of the machine lifted into the boot. Having some plywood on the base of the boot meant we could slide it in easier and not damage anything.

Nice to see a Brook Crompton motor, when I left school early 70s we had a good choice of apprenticeships in the Huddersfield area, Brook Crompton, ICI, David Brown Tractors, David Brown Gears, Hopkinsons Valves, Ellis Furniture, I picked the parks dept, didnt like to be stuck inside, joined the medical profession not long after and got to know Mr Crompton quite well, he had moved out of his mansion and into one of the gate house's, his hobby was lepidopterology, and he traveled all over the world, a true gentleman. History lesson over .

Latest posts

Back