photobucket again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Any one else started receiving spam from photobucket/
Since having told me I cant use them for hosting without paying 400 dollars a year, I havent been to my pictures once.

Last week I had an email from them saying;
"Welcome to Photobucket! You made a smart move creating an account with us. The future is here and cloud storage is the way to go. It's the best way to keep your pictures safe for generations to come."

HUH? I've had an account (free) since 2003. Thats a fairly slow welcoming response isnt it?

Now I've had another one saying I can get a 10 dollar discount if I sign up to their business account today.

I never used my account for business, it had barely a 100 pics (over 14 years).

Smacks of desperation to me. Wonder how many they lost when they tried the ransom demand.

My friends who used Photobucket left and either went to Flickr or one of the inexpensive fee for service providers like Zenfolio and Smugmug. We now replace the "b" with "ph" when we refer to Photobucket.

I keep getting that, with a promo code giving me a discount of £10. I would be half tempted if the discount was a lot better. I have 1000's of pics which makes all of my resto threads useless :evil:

wallace":1p6iu5mz said:
I have 1000's of pics which makes all of my resto threads useless :evil:

Is your avatar intentional, or a victim of the PB change?

Did you not see that coming?
I would think you folks would have seen this sort of thing long before photobucket done this
while going through archives on forums.
I learned my lesson about storing photos in one spot, when another UK woodworking website shut down.

I have some questions for the mods/knowledgeable folk....
1. Is it much of a drain on server costs to have piccys uploaded here instead of
giving links ?

2. Does uploading piccys on the forums, make it more navigable for finding a thread using google images?

Would I still find something looking through images if it was hosted on another photo site?
And do I need to be signed in to whatever forum to view these images, be it images hosted or uploaded
with a google image search

Tom

sunnybob":2uw2gkpx said:
Smacks of desperation to me. Wonder how many they lost when they tried the ransom demand.

They're not the only ones who use this tactic. A few weeks after I stopped using my Facebook account, I started getting random notifications. The longer I ignored them, the more desperate and provocative the notifications would get.

Then I deleted my account and the notifications stopped altogether :D

Ttrees; the overiding cost on a web site is memory usage. Big pictures use tons on memory. This site allows pics to be added direct from your computer. But you have to resize your pics down to quite small, so detail can be lost.

Hi Sunnybob
I guessed as much, but how much space does a two or a three page thread, with no piccys take up?
Is it the same size as a single compressed 256KIB picture ?
If it is indeed, a vastly larger file, would it be a bad thing if everybody here uploaded to the forum directly...
Or are these shrunken piccy's a negligible size in relation to server costs?

I have not heard anyone implying, ever... that someone was clogging the forum or similar atrocities :D

The Kunz will be charging you for your Youtube channel before long !

As an example, my normal picture size on my computer is 2MB. Some people have pics of 12 Mb or even more.
This site only allows a maximum of 256Kb.
So I have to reduce my pics by a factor of 8 (roughly).

Text is relative peanuts, whole documents can be barely 250 Kb
I am on an american forum that allows pics of 5Mb each, but that is a fully commercial business with advertising, sponsors and several thousands of members.
The bean counters rule.
Photobucket claimed to have over 15,000,000 pictures on line, instantly available to any request. Thats a lot of money in memory hire. They had adverts, but not enough to pay for the web space and make a profit, so they put the boot in. But they went so high so fast that I suspect 99% of their users just stopped using them like I did. If they had said 20 or 30 quid a year, i would almost certainly have agreed. To go from nothing to £300 a year was appalling market strategy.

If you can't see a Photobucket picture
Hold alt, left click then "open in new tab".....voila!

Latest posts

Back