Philly's New Toy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

So come on then Philly. Give us the details of the new toy...which one I hear you say...the one which took 4 people to carry in to your workshop.

I thought I'd got a good thicknesser having just bought the makita but oh no, you had to belittle me.

Dave

Dave, the new beastie is a Delta X5 22-785x. It is a 15 inch thicknesser, three knife cutterhead complete with big infeed/outfeed roller tables. Weighs about 11 ton (well, it felt like it!! :roll: ) 3 Horsepower (so needs 30 amps on start-up and needs a 5 inch hose dust extractor. So that turned up from Axminster this morning :lol: Leaves a beautiful finish (don't they all with new blades??) but will take off huges chunks off timber. I like it (although the neighbours are'nt too sure yet :twisted: )
Came with the Delta mobile base (really necessary!!) and also has two feed speeds for fine/roughing cuts.
Have only run a few (big) boards through it so far but am very happy. Zero snipe thanks to the big tables. And a warm feeling inside as I follow in Norm's footsteps :norm:
I'll post some pics soon.
Philly :D

PHILLY! :shock: That is some thicknesser you have got there. Any chance of some pics once you have got it installed? I am so green with envy :mrgreen:

Pics? Oh, alright. As you asked..... :lol:
Here she is...
2006_0912planer0002.jpg

I moved my jointer away from the wall and swapped in the planer.....
2006_0912planer0001.jpg

The motor is 3hp and is somewhat large :lol: The rise/fall handle is superb. Real locomotive stuff...

2006_0912planer0003.jpg

And a final shot showing the shop as you look in thru the door. The bandsaw lives behind the planer but there is still 2 meters infeed AND outfeed without moving anything. Good enough for anything I'll build :D
2006_0912planer0004.jpg

Enjoy the pics

Nice piece of kit that :shock:

So, does it thickness all woods without problems then? :whistle: :wink: :lol:

Cheers

JealousTony

My, my, what sweet, dinky little machines! :wink:

Scrit

Ahh, nice to see you lot still have your sense of humour intact :lol:
Tony-it doesn't like timber that is 16+ inches wide.....
NickW-Maybe.....maybe :wink:
Scrit-these little hobby machines are soooo cute :lol:
Barry-Yup, my existing extractor didn't have enough puff. This one does :D
Chris-Well I have to justify the modest hand plane collection somehow :wink:
Cheers
Philly :norm:

nice one mate. Bet it could still give a better finish than most "bigger" machines.

No pics of the extractor then??

ahh, i missed that one. I did expect a bigger unit really :lol: :lol:

How does that one "perform" again the record unit

LyNx":3a2gtv5r said:
nice one mate. Bet it could still give a better finish than most "bigger" machines.
Depends on how many cutters it has and what the diameter of the cutter block is - bigger cutter block = shallower "scallop" and therefore better quality of cut...... Modern (i.e. 70s onwards) big machines are really very good with 3- or 4-knife blocks. Felder now do a 6-cutter block on some of their industrial machines and the surface quality is superb. Only wish I could afford one!

Scrit

The dust extractor is this one. A LOT of machine for the cash. Obviously it is a chip extractor but it moves a serious amount of air. It seems to be the same(ish) machine as Axminsters. which means I can fit this at some future stage.
Young Sophie loves playing with my other 4 inch extractor, running around sucking up anything she can find on the floor. This new one had her running from the workshop :twisted: It moves a LOT of air through the 5 inch pipe-it handles the new planer with no problems. And the Delta makes a lot of shavings, as Tony and Bean can attest :wink:
The cyclone-well, all this talk has got me interested. A gloat for the future maybe? :wink:
Cheers

Cheers for the info and photos Philly. Your new workshop looks like it's getting a little too small for you already. 30 amps at startup is a heck of a lot. Do the lights down the street go dim when you enter the workshop? You'll be needing the three phase power soon.

Dave

Dave
When the sparky was fitting the power for me we tested the tablesaw (with similar 3 hp motor) and it kept tripping the 16 circuit breaker. So he put it on a 30 (or 32) amp circuit breaker and that was the end of that. Don't think it draws that much, just at startup it can scare the breaker into tripping :lol:
Put a big plank of Pau Rosa through it last night-minimal tear out and zero snipe. I was impressed!
Cheers

Philly I would not try running the thicknesser, table saw and extractor at the same time!!!. I have got a fairly large cable running to my garage but I don't think it would cope?. My only high amperage is my 3HP cyclone motor all the rest run of a 13amp ring with no problem. How hot does the thicknesser cable get or is it just startup? The extension cable for the thicknesser should be over 2.5mm I think from my calculations on my 3HP motor.

Fear not, Barry :wink:
I only use one machine at a time plus the dust extractor.I explained my needs to the sparky who did the install-he assured me I had lots spare. I'll keep my eye on it though.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back