Philly's New Plane - with a difference...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
I may of hinted about this previously but it has finally arrived - a hand plane from world famous cabinetmaker James Krenov!! \:D/
Sadly, Jim's eyesight is failing him and he has had to give up making his wonderful cabinets. But he is still making the odd hand plane.
Here it is....
DSCF6595.jpg

It is an interesting beast! The plane body is left rough from the bandsaw (if you have read his books you will know this is his favoured method) but is wonderfully tactile. The body is cleverly contoured and very comfortable - it can also be gripped in various ways.
The iron is a huge Ron Hock cryo treated A2 iron with chipbreaker.
I have put some more pictures here on my website.
Cheers
Philly :D

Phill - ultimate gloat, impossible to beat, give me that anyday rather than that 25th LN thingie :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: - Rob

woodbloke":2b6pgg2w said:
Phill - ultimate gloat, impossible to beat, give me that anyday rather than that 25th LN thingie :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: - Rob

Why choose, I want them both :shock: :lol:

Cheers, "collector" Paul :D

:shock: Ah, heck. This really isn't on. I haven't got close to the bottom of the metal slope yet and my Woodie resistance is already almost weakened to the point of collapse after seeing your own latest creation.

Fabulous. Yours have an elegant sylvan chic, and this exemplary rude refinement.

Dammit. My feet are slipping. :cry:

Steve

am I missing something, it looks like a load of old rubbish made in someones shed. Can't even be bothered to put a bit of paper over it.

Its the equivalent of Tracy Emein of the art world.

Obeone - I think that is the point - it is basely practical, refined only as function dictates. This is a pure tool, factored without aesthetic artifice and deriving beauty simply and honestly from the raw material of which it is fashioned. Is that sufficiently art criticy for you? :)

Obeone
Ahhh..... good call!
My first reaction when opening the box was "Aaaaah...what the heck is this :? " It looks rather coarsely made, is unfinished and needed a little fettling to make it sing.
But as I used it I realised how highly evolved this little plane is. The maker has obviously made a large amount of these over the years and it incorporates some very subtle but clever features.
It is very comfortable to hold and, as mentioned, you are not forced into a "standard" grip like, for instance, a Bailey style plane. The wedge needs minimal pressure to firmly hold the iron - almost finger pressure. And it cuts well. That is the basic purpose!
Please remember Jim is in his late eighties and his eyesight is failing - he is making planes mainly by feel! I am honoured to own one of his planes. As an amateur plane maker myself, I have read his writings on making planes and was very eager to see how his plane would perform in the flesh. For me this was very enlightening.
I hope this explains my excitement for this strange looking little block of wood :wink:
regards
Philly :D

Nice score there Philly,
A little piece of woodworking history that you can actually touch and use, although if it were mine I probably wouldn't be using it very often. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Phil, he forgot to finish it for you. Send it over to me and i'll post it back to him for finishing. Honest :wink:

Well Im afraid Im with Obeone on this one .I wonder how many people would have been oohing and aahing if the plane had been posted anonymously with no reference to the venerable Mr. Krenov. Reminds me of wine experts extolling the virtues of wine vinigar when sampled from a bottle with a fancy label. But then I never got Picasso either, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder :wink:

Obeone":3tuq1ol6 said:
am I missing something, it looks like a load of old rubbish made in someones shed. Can't even be bothered to put a bit of paper over it.

i think i agree...to a point. this strikes me as nothing to look at however my basic thought about looks is "WHO CARES!" :!:

does it work well? coming from James Krenov i would think that it would work just as well as any fancy-finished tool out there.

to me there is a REAL difference between a tool and a museum piece (or dare i say... 'a collectors item') :shock: and that is the reason that i never understood the whole LN plane looks better than LV plane thing. #-o but that is a whole different can of worms :whistle:

nice plane philly.

sparky (causing trouble :twisted: )

ps. at what point did philly end up with more lumber in the tool cabinet :tool: than on the lumber storage rack :p

'Fraid I'm not a JK fan and I just don't see it at all. Phil, you make much nicer-looking planes that work well - I'd sooner have my PE shoulder plane any day. But I wish you joy of your insanity. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Obeone":1kcdp9zt said:

The whole point here is that this little plane was made by Jim Krenov. Wether or not you like his style of furniture (and I do) he is without doubt one of the most influential furniture makers of the last quarter century and to own a small piece fashioned by him would be something that I could only hope to aspire to. As to looking like a load of old rubbish, there may be something in that...it is fairly rustic in appearance and doesn't have the polish or finish of a Holtey for example. That though, at the end of the jour, doesn't matter a toss...it's the provenance which is everything - Rob

woodbloke":3dvb90m5 said:
Obeone":3dvb90m5 said:

The whole point here is that this little plane was made by Jim Krenov. Wether or not you like his style of furniture (and I do) he is without doubt one of the most influential furniture makers of the last quarter century and to own a small piece fashioned by him would be something that I could only hope to aspire to. As to looking like a load of old rubbish, there may be something in that...it is fairly rustic in appearance and doesn't have the polish or finish of a Holtey for example. That though, at the end of the jour, doesn't matter a toss...it's the provenance which is everything - Rob

So that makes it the equivelent of tracy Emein's bed, doesn't matter a toss whether its any good its a Jim Krenov.

As Philly has said previously, it required a small amount of fettling to make it 'sing', so there's no question that it isn't fit for purpose and as Phill has said its been made by a man now in his mid eighties who is losing his sight so IMO some allowances ought to be made. I can see your point tho' (bit like the notorious Tate 'brick' sculpture a few years ago ...who made it, by the way?) My point is that I happen to like it. Last word on the subject - Rob

Obeone":2fd6re90 said:
So that makes it the equivelent of tracy Emein's bed, doesn't matter a toss whether its any good its a Jim Krenov.

Not quite, although I do think that it is a pity that such a great craftsman may be remembered by many who do not know his work in detail for his rustic tools rather than his quality carpentry, like his style or not, and I am not very smitten, there are relatively few people in the world today who can produce cabinet work to the standard of James Krenov.

I do not think that the Tracy Emein's or the like in our warped art world have or could ever produce such fine workmanship.

I, like Philly, would love to have in my possession a small article made by Mr Krenov, however basic in construction, just to show my respect of a great craftsman.

CHJ":sl4e36f7 said:
I, like Philly, would love to have in my possession a small article made by Mr Krenov, however basic in construction, just to show my respect of a great craftsman.

Me too - one of the all-time greats :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Latest posts

Back