Philly your planes are too cheap!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At that price I will have two :shock: :roll: :wink:

If you dont hear from again, it means I have bought two and my wife has found out :shock: 8-[ :-$

I dunno, could you source the boxwood in the necessary size at all? Perhaps it's me, but while it may be rare and collectible and all, it seems totally lacking in any elegance. I mean if you're going to go big on a plough, wouldn't you like something a bit less lumpy-looking? Had a look in Warman's but didn't find anything listed that exactly matched (but there are a lot of plough planes) so perhaps it really is worth that? Sheesh, these collectors, eh? :roll: :D

Cheers, Alf

Wow!!! :shock:
Uum....yes, remind me of this when you want a plane made, LN :lol:

Al - Boxwood. Whilst at Westonbirt talking to Mr Sauer he mentioned a chap had walked up earlier with a monster bit of box from one of the stalls around the corner. Needless to say there was only twigs left upon my hasty arrival...... :cry:

Cheers
Philly :D

Philly":34rqj99w said:
Al - Boxwood. Whilst at Westonbirt talking to Mr Sauer he mentioned a chap had walked up earlier with a monster bit of box from one of the stalls around the corner. Needless to say there was only twigs left upon my hasty arrival...... :cry:
D'oh! #-o It's the quality that eludes me as much as anything - been turning an old defunct chisel handle into something else recently, and the appearance and quality surpassed anything I've turned from new stock by a country mile. Probably should be talking to the likes of Timberline for the good stuff, but I'm not sure I can take what our 'Murrican friends refer to as the "sticker shock" :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Two things elude me

1. Why would anyone want such an ugly, clunky plane when there are loads of superior ploughs around?

2. Why would anyone want to collect rather than use tools?

Lord Nibbo":3ersy96j said:
This is the Price you should be charging :lol: 8)

Don't be telling him that. I'd love to buy a Philly-plane but it already hurts enough because of the dismal exchange rate. :cry:

Even at 2:1 they are a good buy. Obviously if the exchange rate softens (from our US perspective) they are an even better buy.

Short of C&W...who ya gonna call?

I'm extremely pleased with the DT plane Phil has made me. I cannot wait for the molding plane-style panel raiser. And I'm conjuring up a couple more to commission Phil to make--aside from one of his miter planes.

philly_plane_0002.jpg

And in-progress...the mini-panel rasier...

mw1.jpg

Take care, Mike

MikeW":25f1eq9u said:
Even at 2:1 they are a good buy. Obviously if the exchange rate softens (from our US perspective) they are an even better buy.

Short of C&W...who ya gonna call?

I'm extremely pleased with the DT plane Phil has made me. I cannot wait for the molding plane-style panel raiser. And I'm conjuring up a couple more to commission Phil to make--aside from one of his miter planes.

Take care, Mike

Yeah, Philly is definitely on my "I want" list. He's a little ways down from the top, though. I'm still waiting for some saws from Oregon . . . :roll:

Back