Pergola Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That beam was doomed from the start!

beam.png

And that's under its own weight

Been tasked with replacing this 3.6m 47 x 150 joist. The sagging has occurred over 20 years ( not my work!) and I was considering attaching a metal bar to the inside face to add some strength along it’s length.
Questions
How long should that bar be on 3.6m span ?
Is screwing it to the face enough or should it be routed in?
Easy enough to get 1m bars from Screwfix or similar or should I source just 1 bar of the recommended length if the view is that the bar needs to be longer than 1m?
Thanks
You could make a slightly upward curved wood laminated arc, the way the romans used to do. Roman stone arcs are still standing after a couple of millennia, there must be a good reason.... In this case the posts might be tensioned with a steel cable under the arc, to avoid them from collapsing outward because of the weight and outward momentum... I think that if you copy the geometry of timber roofs you'd get a good stable structure...

Unless the metal bar is deep 100mm l+ and preferably a L section it's not going to help sagging.

Tbh for the price of £20 for some timber I'd be replacing it!
You are incorrect as a flat strip works perfectly. A structural engineer advised this 20 years ago and it has been solid ever since on a floor support in a listed building.

Last edited:
Back