perform mortice machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Help required please iv,e required a perform moticer and a set of chisels but how do i fit the chisel and drill into the machine as they look way to big so any help would be most appreciated photos below

Attachments

• DSCF8353.jpg
    DSCF8353.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCF8351.jpg
    DSCF8351.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCF8354.jpg
    DSCF8354.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCF8352.jpg
    DSCF8352.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 157
You should be able to take the chuck off and then slide the mortice chisel up. The auger part will be held with an alan key.

chuck off and chisel in great and now for my next question how can i control the depth should there be a lock or something to cut the same depth each time

I have a Ferm one and it has a depth stop of sorts on the pillar.

Also, make sure you square the chisel to the fence, if you didn't already know that.

And for todays question i have noticed there is no hold down to hold the timber in place while using the morticer machine any suggestions what i can use or make i am thinking of clamping the wood in place but i am open to suggestions
Mock

There should be a clamp that attaches to a slotted bar just behind the fence, so i gather yours is missing. If the bar is still there, i would get a piece of wood and put a bolt through it, with a wing nut or star knob on the back. That way you can slide the piece along to mortice, instead of unclamping and moving the work piece. Hope that makes sense.

You can have mine if you want, I don't bother using it and just hold the work piece.

I have considered getting a horizontal sliding drill vice to use on it, so you could look at one of those

MattRoberts":uk6s30od said:
You can have mine if you want, I don't bother using it and just hold the work piece.

I have considered getting a horizontal sliding drill vice to use on it, so you could look at one of those

I don't use mine either and funnily enough, found it while cleaning out my workshop. First time i have seen it since i bought the machine about ten years ago.

As the previous posters say, the "hold down" isn't used by many, me included.
When set up, do NOT drive the chisel in the cut full depth, thereby trapping the chisel,
I start away from the finish end, and only go in about 20-25mm, lift the chisel out and next mortice beside the last one a bit deeper, say 40, or 50mm, then the 3rd cut at probably the full depth, beside that, you can probably go a bit deeper in softwood, experiment with you'rs, it may be different.
This may sound fiddly but its quite quick, The morticer is A nice addition to the workshop, just take it steady and let the auger and chisel do the work, and clear the wood chips
Regards Rodders

Great stuff i haven't had a chance to use it as yet back and for the hospital but the weekend is coming thank,s guys

Latest posts

Back