Perform CCBL Lathe Pulley

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rond

Reaction score
Many thanks for all previous help on my last question. Have another now. I am replacing the pulleys on the headstock and have removed the circlip and got the first half of the pulley off. I have tried to prise the second half of the pulley off but it will not move. How does this part of the pulley come off? Is it attached to something else or is it just very tight.
Many thanks again.

The inner half of the split pulley is attached to the lever mechanism, that's how the speed adjustment is actioned.
Look for a circlip and/or a dowel pin/set screw on the outer boss, sorry can't remember exact fitting, too long ago since I had similar machine.

The Manual parts breakdown shows all the bits, but it's not obvious which is where, but a process of identification with the machine should track individual references down.

Having great difficulty with this one. Have removed a nut from bottom of outer boss and can see a circlip on the shaft at the casing but cannot get anything to move. The lever mechanism was very very hard to move to change speed prior to me deciding to renew the belt and pulleys. Don't know how hard or difficult is should be to change speed as I am very new to this. Have tried to work out from manual but cannot see whats what. Hoping someone can give me an idoit's guide to changing this pulley. Many thanks.
perform ccbl.jpg

Attachments

• perform ccbl.jpg
    perform ccbl.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,964
It is some time ago since I had one of these lathes. If my memory serve me correctly - one half of the pulley set if fixed in place with the cir-clip and the other half slides along the shaft. The sliding is via a mechanism from the lever on the front. By moving the front lever you should be able to identify it. The half that slides along the shaft is guided by a key and key-way in the shaft. This is the bit that usually clogs up.

The way I used to free mine was with W40 and a wooden drift.

Take the belt off. Spray the shaft. Try and drift the pulley further on by ~1mm, run the lathe and use the front lever to recover the 1mm and a bit more. Repeat until it comes off or you loose the will to live.

Bill

I have a similar problem at the moment, did you manage to sort it? Wheredid you source your pulleys from?

Yes did manage to get it sorted. I had great help from Richard Beer at Axminster which is where I got the pulleys and belt from. The lathe is now performing like a new lathe. Hope this helps.
:D

Latest posts

Back