Pens again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daven

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

As per my first post in the general section, new to proper turning so would like some advice regarding pens.

Why pens? well they look like a good/useful present to give friends an family!

I will be getting a mandrel from Axminster, but wonder what other items are essential (baring in mind my pocket money has been spent on building the workshop!)

There also seem to be a few pen kits around including ebay - any recomendations?

Many thanks

Dave

Daven":rufuhegk said:
..........I will be getting a mandrel from Axminster, but wonder what other items are essential ....

Very little specific to pens, a google search will turn up several pen 'how tos' but if you can knock up some simple aids as can be seen HERE, or their equivalents, then you should have no problems until such time as you develope your own preferred methods.

Daven":rufuhegk said:
..........There also seem to be a few pen kits around including ebay - any recomendations?

For starters I would stick with Axminster or Turners Retreat until you develope a feel for preference.

Unless you must do some practice items I would say avoid the cheapest ranges and go for the premium plated gold versions or alternate finishes.

Many thanks - the link has a useful guide, have seen the movie clips at Turners Retreat hence the essential part of my post - they use a trimming tool and some nice looking glue.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Paul - looking forward to getting it dusty soon - will post back any failures quite soon I hope! :wink:

Dave

dave, make sure you get the 7mm mandrel as that is the most common one to use. a barrel trimmer is very useful but not an absalute nessesity.also as you get different types of pen kit, make sure you also get the bushings for that particular pen kit type, any more questions just shout.

greggy":35siwpoe said:
dave, make sure you get the 7mm mandrel as that is the most common one to use. a barrel trimmer is very useful but not an absalute nessesity.also as you get different types of pen kit, make sure you also get the bushings for that particular pen kit type, any more questions just shout.

Thanks Greggy - have managed to set the lathe up this weekend - so will be looking at getting the blanks and kits this week.

Dave

Latest posts

Back