Hi I am Saltyseas from Cheshire

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saltyseas

Reaction score
Post lockdown myself and a few friends got chatting about events and all agreed that although lockdown was tough for us for some people this is the norm. Especially men, who find it harder to make friends than Women and more especially those that are socially isolated, lonely or have lost their way in life. This may be as a result of losing a partner., retirement or redundancy. It was as a result of this conversation that in September 2022 we opened the doors to our community workshop where men could meet to build things out of wood, chat, make friends or just have a cup of coffee. Our workshop has been built in a converted stone barn, donated by a local farmer, and has been kitted out with equipment old and new. Some via a lottery grant, some donated or some purchased when we see a deal. To date we have 20 members, and it is growing like topsy.

My reason for joining the group is for advice in some areas or contact like-minded people that have built a similar setup in that we can share projects, ideas etc. We do as mentioned buy secondhand equipment and sometimes need advice or a manual, again this forum may be useful in this regard as I can see how helpful everyone is. Our latest purchase is a Startrite Inca planer and rebater and I will be posting questions about this in the appropriate section I hope someone is able to help. Many thanks in anticipation Saltyseas.

Last edited:
I really love 💕 reading posts like this . I agree with your comments regarding men making friends etc ( I’m in this camp) I,m humbled that you and your friends have taken this step and I hope your group continues to grow . As for information help and advice etc you are in the best forum for your group. Need help then just ask away and you will get plenty of help . We love pictures of the work and projects you do so welcome to you and good luck with your future 🤗🤗🤗

Bingy Man.. Many thanks for your kind reply and for being my first contact on this forum. I have posted a quick question regarding a recently purchased Startrite Inca planer/rebater under General Woodworking, but it has not appeared as yet. I would think it has to be approved by the moderator first. Most of our members have never done any carpentry in their life so it will be interesting to see how they progress. Currently I am building some new gates for our church using the old metal fittings, the previous gates only lasted 150 years ... just not good enough..;):unsure:😄 so I will post an article on those once I am a bit further down the road.. Thanks again Saltyseas.

Bingy Man.. Many thanks for your kind reply and for being my first contact on this forum. I have posted a quick question regarding a recently purchased Startrite Inca planer/rebater under General Woodworking, but it has not appeared as yet. I would think it has to be approved by the moderator first. Most of our members have never done any carpentry in their life so it will be interesting to see how they progress. Currently I am building some new gates for our church using the old metal fittings, the previous gates only lasted 150 years ... just not good enough..;):unsure:😄 so I will post an article on those once I am a bit further down the road.. Thanks again Saltyseas.
150 years - shocking workmanship 😂, there are multiple skill levels on this forum and everything from hobbyists to professional cabinet makers . Myself I’m self taught mostly 1st and 2nd fix woodwork but slowly moving towards making simple cabinets, bookcases etc . Ps I’ve just seen some of your workshop equipment. 👍👍

Don't forget to get back to us after 160 years to remind how much better they are than the "tat" that was there in 2022 🤣😅🤣😅🤣

Welcome too.👍👍

Don't forget to get back to us after 160 years to remind how much better they are than the "tat" that was there in 2022 🤣😅🤣😅🤣

Welcome too.👍👍
Will do.. 😄 😄 Actually when you look at how the old gate was constructed I take my hat off to them. No power tools in those days all the Mortices hand drilled and chiseled, the curved panels cut with frets saws and finished with spoke shaves and the chamfers done by hand, not to mention the pre work planing and squaring of stock We do have it easier. Will post some pictures of the old parts at a later date.

150 years - shocking workmanship 😂, there are multiple skill levels on this forum and everything from hobbyists to professional cabinet makers . Myself I’m self taught mostly 1st and 2nd fix woodwork but slowly moving towards making simple cabinets, bookcases etc . Ps I’ve just seen some of your workshop equipment. 👍👍
Couple of pictures of how the barn was just after we had cleared it in July 2021 and how it had evolved by September 2021... now hosting machinery it looks different again. Will post some updated pictures later..

Attachments

• DSC00687.JPG
    DSC00687.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211126_101333.jpg
    IMG_20211126_101333.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Couple of pictures of how the barn was just after we had cleared it in July 2021 and how it had evolved by September 2021... now hosting machinery it looks different again. Will post some updated pictures later..
{Pic 2 - What are those stand things on the left hand side.
Im really nosey :LOL:

Triton,
We have another charity in our village which is called the Toy appeal it was founded and is run by two members (husband and wife) of our community. Every year they raise thousands of pounds to buy new toys for the poorer children at Christmas. Around end of November- December all the toys turn up in pantechnic trucks and are unloaded by volunteers filling a whole sports center.
We made the stands (which are the items you are asking about) which have age group signs put on them so the toys could be separated into different rows based on age. The pickers (and there is lots of them) then go from row to row making up appropriate sacks putting several toys in each sack. meanwhile we stand in the cold manning the car parks, direct the lorries and drinking coffee along with the odd bacon butty., but no complaints it is more than worth it, last year they made 9,000 children very happy at Christmas. Can you imagine as a child thinking you have been forgotten by Santa Claus while all your friends get presents .. a very commendable cause.

If you are nosey 😂😂. the links below are worth looking at 👍

https://twitter.com/thetoyappealhttps://thetoyappeal.com/

Post lockdown myself and a few friends got chatting about events and all agreed that although lockdown was tough for us for some people this is the norm. Especially men, who find it harder to make friends than Women and more especially those that are socially isolated, lonely or have lost their way in life. This may be as a result of losing a partner., retirement or redundancy. It was as a result of this conversation that in September 2022 we opened the doors to our community workshop where men could meet to build things out of wood, chat, make friends or just have a cup of coffee. Our workshop has been built in a converted stone barn, donated by a local farmer, and has been kitted out with equipment old and new. Some via a lottery grant, some donated or some purchased when we see a deal. To date we have 20 members, and it is growing like topsy.

My reason for joining the group is for advice in some areas or contact like-minded people that have built a similar setup in that we can share projects, ideas etc. We do as mentioned buy secondhand equipment and sometimes need advice or a manual, again this forum may be useful in this regard as I can see how helpful everyone is. Our latest purchase is a Startrite Inca planer and rebater and I will be posting questions about this in the appropriate section I hope someone is able to help. Many thanks in anticipation Saltyseas.
Welcome @Saltyseas you live near Middlewich, my childhood hometown and where my family still live. You will find lots of help and advice here; along the way you may get 10 different answers to one question and the subject going off into all sorts of weird and wonderful tangents. Just don't ask how to sharpen stuff - you have been warned!

Welcome to the asylum 🤪🤪🤪 a grand old bunch of woody nutjobs here, your story so far is, as already mentioned, very humbling, I too live in the bracket of socially awkward. I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Back