hi I am a newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi Brian thanks for the info I use a company called stiles and bates for my woods to do my bandsaw boxes etc their new 2017 catalogue is due out in January, they have 36 different types of wood on offer from African black wood to yew and their postage is about £10 up to 20 kilos

there is one wood I am definitely going to have a go at now with the scrollsaw is tamboti also known as African sandalwood and supposed to leave a lovely smell in the workshop after cutting - it will be wasted in my garage at the top of the garden - all of the listed woods come either as bowl blanks or spindle blanks their web site is http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk I got 2 pieces 12inch x 12inch x 2 inches of wild mango and faced them up and glued them together cost about £60 but I got 2 absolutely stunning boxes out of it.

they also do a variety bag of Mozambique timber weight about 5 kilos £24 plus postage

if things work out tomorrow I will try and get photos on the site of stuff done over the last month since I got my scroll saw

take care

john

pain is the best attention getter

aramco":3jxvytb6 said:
...I use a company called stiles and bates for my woods...

The Stiles and Bates catalogue is the Woodworker's Playboy. :lol: :oops:

hi Brian have just looked at you photos again and tried to see how you had done things the bikes are wonderful I used to have a goldwing mark 2 long before they fully dressed them but I like the horse as again I used to keep them - they kept me poor - this I would really like to have a go at any tips how to get started please types of wood and dyes if used and is this on a backer

NazNomad seems I have lot to learn about how to use this forum

take care
john

I have just watched some you tube videos on intarsia and as clint eastwood would say "its a good man who knows his limitations " so that has gone on the back burner for now I will continue to play cannie and learn how to use the scrollsaw better making cut out plaques, bowls. boxes and puzzles and anything else that springs to mind

take care

john

and thanks for your help

hi again what colour wood would one substitute for white or would paint it

thank you
John

I just had a look at Brians intarsia on his site and all I can say is ....... wow.

I love the Bulldog. I am inspired to have a go at intarsia after seeing those pics.

Richard

Look towards the bottom of the page and you will see an upload attachment panel

upload.jpg

Click choose file and a file navigator panel will pop up, navigate to and select the file that you wish to upload.

Once you have chosen your file click the Add the file button to upload your file.

Another pop up will be display showing the file upload progress.

You can add multiple files and they will all be listed at the bottom of the page.

By default they will be displayed at the bottom of your post.

If you wish to place an image inline as I have done above, then look immediately below the text editor and you will see an option to select from your uploaded images and a Place inline button.

Finally, if you wish you can preview your post before posting it by clicking the Preview button to the left of the Submit button.

Hope this helps

Phill

Attachments

• upload.jpg
    upload.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 877
Claymore":2bezuyjh said:
Hi Phil,
Hope the storms miss ya, our power has been off quite a bit but fine at the moment......It seems to be passing quickly so hold onto ya hat.

Cheers
Brian
Ps Happy Chrimbo

We lost power a few times on Friday evening but we've been okay since.

It was very windy yesterday making Oscar's walk a bit of an adventure.

Been quiet during the night but sounds to be getting back up again now - that'll be Conor knocking at the door!

At least Scottish Hydro have posted engineers on each island over the period so they're prepared.

Hope you and yours, and indeed everyone else here, have a safe and enjoyable Christmas and New Year.

Phill

IMG_0025.JPG
hi Phill tried to get my scroll saw pictures up on site but I keep getting told my file is to big so here is a couple of others probably one at a time

thank s
John

Attachments

• IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 853
this the second bandsaw box it is the mate to the other one both made from wild mango

thank s
john

Attachments

• IMG_0028 (2).JPG
    IMG_0028 (2).JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 850
this on is made out of walnut all for now

thank s
john

Attachments

• 20151210_100647 (2).jpg
    20151210_100647 (2).jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 845
aramco":14yjpbn5 said:
hi Phill tried to get my scroll saw pictures up on site but I keep getting told my file is to big so here is a couple of others probably one at a time

thank s
John

John,

I think the maximum file size is something like 80kb. You may need to resize/compress them.

I usually resize them to have maximum height or width (depending if they're portrait or landscape format) of 800 pixels and then set the jpg compression to 50%. I do this in Photoshop but I am sure it will be possible in other apps too.

Phill

Back