Pen - what wood? ....a very small competition....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrums

Established Member
Reaction score
.....a pen, wot I made today.......the question is.....what's the wood ?

I know....but do you ?

I'll run a little competition on this if it's ok with the mods - first one to get it right, or failing that, closest, by midnight tomorrow gets a pack of pen blanks, not over-generous I know, but some good bits - Ripple Ash, Lacewood (Plane) Brown Oak, Stripy Yew, Laburnum, Spalted Elm and anything else I can find kicking around.

Clue: If it was Burr Elm (which it obviously isn't) I'd want both the Elm and Burr words.....Second clue it's English, common, and most people will see one every day........a happy, peaceful and prosperous New Year to you all,

Chris.

I'll post the answer and get address details for the winner on New Years day.

Pen-301209.jpg

I don't even know if this exists but from my experience of Laburnum

- Burr Laburnum?

This guess is based on the colour and I'm colourblind but it reminds me of some Laburnum I turned recently.

It is a really lovely pen, great work.

Brendan

(Had to have a go, can't let little things like colourblindness and stupidity stand in my way.)

Seen as Sycamore has gone!

Ill have to go with Rippled / Figured Ash!

PHIL

Just a punt here - London Plane?

What ever it is it's nice! :wink:

Dave

I'll go for lime (a nice bit, rippled, flamed, whatever) as a change, being as all my initial thoughts have been had.....

Dod

Just had a thought!

Poplar (figured/rippled) whatever you want to call it!

PHIL

Well, if only by a process of elimination and going through the alphabet I reckon someone will eventually stumble upon the type of wood.... :D

....but not yet....!

Chris

mmm - Flamed Boxwood?

Trying to think what 'most people will see one every day' :-k

Latest posts

Back