Pedestal Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Very happy for you at winning the comp, congrats.

The finish on the interior bowl is stunning, looks like a piece of glass!

I'm really beginning to appreciate the importance of a good finish, so far I'm swinging to spending most of my time on the finish than the actual turning, which I feel with a good deal of patience leads to a finer piece all round.

Well done,

Lee. :)

Hi Ian,

Well done on your win. Well deserved!! The finish is excellent, those black surfaces would show up any faults like a beacon I'm sure!! Interesting pattern, again very well executed and nice subtle use of colour. I also like the way the bowl and the pedestal join, it's simple and you've not tried to hide the join, it works well. If I was to pick anything (and it would be just me being very picky) it would be that the Ogee shape on the bottom of the bowl doesn't seem quite right, it needs to be a bit more "S" shaped with a better flow perhaps. As I say, just being picky though.

Lovely job. Well done

Richard

Hi Lee, Thank you for your comments they are much appreciated. The bowl part was cut with a sharp gouge and carefully sanded to 400 grit ensuring not to round the edge at all Once all the dust had been removed carefully with a cloth and a brush the whole top (Bowl and Rim) were sprayed with Chesnut acrylic gloss lacure and allowed to dry fully between coats (3). The bowl was then lightly smoothed with 0000 wire wool and then burnished with Burnishing Cream until a finish like glass was achieved.
To be honest I have been guilty of wanting to get a piece finished and not paid enough attention to the finer details and i believe you too are now seeing the benefits of greater care and attention. I have seen your output improving over the time you have been on the forum so keep up the good work!
Regards, Ian

HI Richard, Thank you for your valued comments and I guess the shape could have been slightly different had i turned it specifically for adding the pedestal. This was a second bowl blank I part turned for a days private tuition with Nick Arnull to save time during the tuition. As it was not used i decided to make use of it for this competition entry and I set to to improve its finish with the experience gained from Nick. As you commented the black paint does show every blemish up but with attention to detail I achieved an excellent finish.
So I have enjoyed the success with the project due to diligence and I will have to keep this standard up now as a state of mind. I guess its like the complex spindles you recently turned which I admired and i'm sure jobs like that give you a great deal of satisfaction.
Regards,
Ian

Back