Pedestal Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turn It In

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,
As a result of my days session with Nick Arnull and as a variation to the bowl produced with Nick I have produced this pedestal bowl for the club competition next week.

Picture044-1.jpg

Picture045-2.jpg

Picture047-1.jpg

I trust the pictures are ok , your comments are welcome.
Regards,
Ian

that is definitely from the Arnull camp, its stunning. I wish you well in the comp as this piece deserves to win.. :lol: :lol:

Definitely see the Arnull influence though the pedestal shape is not something I've seen, at lest not quite like that. Definitely different. Good luck in the competition

Pete

Best of luck in the competition Ian, I guess a lot is down to Judges personal preferences and whims but they can't fault you on clean lines and finish from what I can see.

Hi Steve, Pete and Chas,
Coloured turned pieces are always subject to those who like the variation of finish and those who believe wood must have the grain showing. Its each to his or her own and I appreciate your comments. Yes you can see the camp that has influenced my efforts and i am pleased to say I enjoyed making the bowl and am pleased with the result.
Regards,
Ian

Hi Steve, Sorry no WIP on this bowl but a breakdown is to establish as near as a blemish free surface then seal with acrylic SS. Next spray with acrylic matt black and cut surface back with 0000 wire wool and further layers of matt black until a fine finish is achieved.
Lines are drawn on with white crayon and followed with a power carver with a V tool. The dots are created with a small single flute counter sinkbit and colour these varying dots to your choise with good quality fibre tip pens.
Seal with sanding sealer acrylic then turn bowl as desired acrylic SS then acrylic satin finish coat and polish with burnishing cream.
I hope that gives you a few clues Steve and the next one I do I will try to remember to photo the progress.
Just enjoy experimenting and if it does not turn out right turn the surface off and start again. Timber is plain sycamore and sprays by Chesnut.
Regards,
Ian

Blimey Ian, thats a bit special mate 8) Your day with Nick was certainly not wasted was it! I was really impressed with the one you made on your day with him but this one is takng it to the next level :D I would be shocked if this doesn't do well in your club competition.
Bet the family are impressed with Dad's new artistic direction? Keep up the experimentation,it seems to be leading you somewhere good :D

Johnny

Hi Kym, I'm pleased you like the decoration, its always difficult to know how much to add and leave out but i am pleased with the result and believe i have the right amount. Regards Ian

Hi Johnny, Yes the family are impressed and i believe my time with Nick was very inspiring and well spent. I hope the judges next week like it as much as you guys. I am thinking along the lines of a clock next so we will see what that creates in my imagination. Regards Ian

Hi Paul, thank you for your comments and as you will read from the earlier part of the thread I have been influenced by the teaching of Nick and am trying to develop some decorated pieces on this theme. Regards, Ian

Hi All,
Just a final post on my Pedestal Bowl, in tonights competition against six other entries all of which were most acceptable and a credit to their creators I am very pleased to say mine came in first place. Makes it all worth while!
Regards,
Ian

Turn It In":32se80ms said:
Hi All,
Just a final post on my Pedestal Bowl, in tonights competition against six other entries all of which were most acceptable and a credit to their creators I am very pleased to say mine came in first place. Makes it all worth while!
Regards,
Ian

Well done Ian as you say makes it all worth while. Well deserved
Steve

No wonder you won, that looks absolutely flawless. The pattern reminds me of early Aboriginal art. Beautiful finish.

Congrats Ian, thats a stunning piece.

The balance of decoration, form and finish is spot on for my taste. :D :D :D :D

Mikec

Hi Mike/Mike and Paul,
Thank you for your replys and I am very pleased with the result, my next problem is where to keep it in the house as space at low level is short. Never mind I will have to think of the next project and keep the momentum up.
Regards,
Ian

Back