Pax saw review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Crown DT saw which I re handled.
20 plus TPI, a bit slow and a bit clunky - not my favourite saw

bd9a2a3e9c14b0321c62f0ca9db62a72.jpg

Rod

I bought this S&J perhaps 7 or 8 years ago. Probably a Chinese one. It came with some sort of universal tooth pattern, which I converted/sharpened to X-cut. Of course it cuts perfectly well but why wouldn't it? It's virtually all in the sharpening, although I did buy a Zona saw where the steel was very soft. That was a little odd because the previous Zona seemed like your typical saw steel. I even resharpened it a few times using a needle file.
I reshaped the handle on the S&J, so it now looks a lot nicer than shown on the picture below. I've had a couple of Pax saws that I purchased in the early 90's. I still have the dovetail saw but the panel saw disappeared. Someone took a liking to it. The handles were a bit clunky but the saws certainly cut very well.

The Footprint tenon saw, at ~50 quid, seems to get quite good reviews. Here is one

nice-tenon-saw-mini-review-t1930.html

The Pax 1776 is twice the price but you pay for the extra finishing, a nice handle, the heavy brass back and the pleasure of using a hand-made tool. Was the OP interested in backsaws or panel saws? The original review was on a panel saw.

Cheers
Richard

To me (from experience of owning a number of currently made US saws and a Pax), you get boutique quality at a workman's price. And, afterall, sooner or later all saws will need sharpened, unless you own them just to blog about them.

Mr_P":31hzyd94 said:
Another option is the Atkinson Walker Saws without handles from workshop heaven.

http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Atk ... _Saws.html

Look good for the money but I've never tried a 20 tpi saw and its not on my list either. The thought of sharpening them fill my middle aged eyes with dread.

Ha, yes a familiar problem. I got 3x reading glasses from the supermarket and they help although I'm cross eyed for half an hour afterwards! And the finest I have sharpened is 14 tpi!

Back