Passing Cyclists in UK with a car Genuine help question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst I have seen here in Derbyshire was a group of 12 or more cyclists riding in a block 3 side by side and a tailback of 10 lorries and more cars following no one could overtake safely so creates more and more frustration why can't the law makers see this?

I have no problem with cyclists at all everyone is entitled to ride / drive what they want all I am saying is that was the worst case of "I do what I want sod you"
While I agree that this was inconsiderate, I do not think that you can even remotely compare this to the numerous sorry mate I didnt see you incidents, I am going to come past even though there isnt enough room etc which result in motor cyclist and cyclist injuries/fatalities. Those are the worst I do what I want sod you.

Always love a good cycling thread. Always brings out a few people who for some reason are pathologically obsessed with cyclists. It isn't very complicated really. Cyclists are vulnerable road users and should be treated as such. They can't really exceed the speed limit, and in an accident are always likely to suffer the greatest injuries of any road user.

No need for giving it any more thought really. Keep your distance and overtake cyclists giving them the same space as if you were overtaking a car.

Cyclists are vulnerable road users and should be treated as such?
Cyclists are vulnerable road users and maybe should be behave as such instead of "I'm on the moral high ground and everyone else can get the hell out of my way"? That appears to be genetically imprinted on cyclists around here.

Cyclists are vulnerable road users and should be treated as such?
Cyclists are vulnerable road users and maybe should be behave as such instead of "I'm on the moral high ground and everyone else can get the hell out of my way"? That appears to be genetically imprinted on cyclists around here.
How strange. Could it be childhood trauma of some sort - a nasty experience in the bike shed? :unsure:

Cyclists are vulnerable road users
Pedestrians would also be vulnerable if they started walking in the road, much safer on the pavement so does this not tell you that you need separation between big heavy metal objects and delicate small bicycles. It is the first means of ensuring safety in electrical engineering, keeping people away from electrical aparatus by separation using insulation, fences and the like. So the only solution for keeping cyclist from being hedghoged is proper cycle routes and then providing them with everything needed to make them more equal to a motor vehicle like bike testing, insurance and taxation then all will be more equal.

Pedestrians would also be vulnerable if they started walking in the road, much safer on the pavement so does this not tell you that you need separation between big heavy metal objects and delicate small bicycles. It is the first means of ensuring safety in electrical engineering, keeping people away from electrical aparatus by separation using insulation, fences and the like. So the only solution for keeping cyclist from being hedghoged is proper cycle routes
We have proper cycle routes already - they are called roads. Cyclists were using them long before motor vehicles. Motorists also have motorways - they should stick to them if they can't cope with normal road traffic.
and then providing them with everything needed to make them more equal to a motor vehicle like bike testing, insurance and taxation then all will be more equal.
Testing for what, and insurance against what? What purpose would taxation have?
What about taxing pedestrians - think of all those expensive pavement facilities they have - completely free of charge! Maybe turnstiles on zebra crossings or underpasses? Maybe licences for pedestrians? It's all very unfair!
Still waiting to hear Phil's account of his regular nasty experiences on the road. I was only joking about the nasty experience in the bike shed - I obviously hit a nerve! :unsure:

Last edited:
bike testing, insurance and taxation then all will be more equal.
Bike testing. There are basic simple standards including lights. Would be nice if they were properly implemented
Insurance. I wouldnt ride without it. I have 3rd party through CTC
Taxation. Nobody pays road tax to drive on the road. We all pay taxes in as many different forms that successive governments can devise

This definitely happens. I've encountered it a few times over the years. They are organised club ride outs and you also get time trial type events with a string of cyclists being started at short intervals. But encountering one of these every 5 years over a driving lifetime isn't something I'll get upset about.
If one of these happened every week on my own local roads and it was managed inconsiderately, that's different and grounds for legitimate complaint.ack in
Back in 2016, we were discussing it then and, at the time, Jacob swore that he'd never seen this. Now here we are 7 years on and having the same discussion. Jacob....I think you need to get out more ;)
:)

So you are saying that vulnerable people should simply cower away and give in to the bullies? I hadn’t expected to hear something like that from you.
When I was still driving the last three narrowly avoided accidents I had were all in exactly the same place - I was going straight ahead at town centre traffic lights. On each occasion the cyclist overtook a queue of moving traffic on the outside and turned left in front of me. Who's the bully?
My wife drives to work (up to 1 1/2 hours for seven miles) and has a dashcam fitted because she is convinced she will mow down one of the dozens of weaving cyclists she sees every day, especially as they are now becoming a protected species. They sure as hell don't "give in to the bullies".

When I was still driving the last three narrowly avoided accidents I had were all in exactly the same place - I was going straight ahead at town centre traffic lights. On each occasion the cyclist overtook a queue of moving traffic on the outside and turned left in front of me.
You mean he overtook you whilst you were stationary or moving slowly? Ooh the horrid beast! :ROFLMAO:

Actually it is encouraged at traffic lights and there is a "bike box" space at the front to make this easier. The idea is that they get away faster and don't slow down the traffic if they are back in the queue. Check your highway code. Motorists must allow cyclists the space to get away first when the light turns.
Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Having read the usual for and against , as a cyclist, motorist and ex motorcyclist, the biggest factor in all this is time, no one leaves enough time to get from A to B

Round us we have several schools, the parents dropping off children often drive like complete idiots, race through gaps, park on double yellows or across gateways, speed by schools at ridiculous speeds and mostly due to being in a rush
(I would bet a great many of them could walk it quicker)

There are places around here where bollards have been placed to help pedestrians cross, but also cause a bottle neck, as a cyclist I have been nearly run down several times as drivers race to get by, only to slow down after as there are pedestrian lights then a fried egg roundabout

If people got up five minutes earlier, and allowed for the occasional hold up (cyclist, bin lorry etc) perhaps they wouldn't need to drive like Lewis Hamilton

You mean he overtook you whilst you were stationary or moving slowly? Ooh the horrid beast! :ROFLMAO:

Actually it is encouraged at traffic lights and there is a "bike box" space at the front to make this easier. The idea is that they get away faster and don't slow down the traffic if they are back in the queue. Check your highway code. Motorists must allow cyclists the space to get away first when the light turns.
Hope that helps!
Ovrtaking cars on the right on a bicycle and then turning left in front of them sounds to me like an accident waiting to happen.

Filter down the left, and if there isn't enough room, wait like everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back