Parking advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Quote from an article on the web, dont blame me if it fails.

"The parking principle"
Try slowly and carefully reversing a car into a tight parking space and you will often fail. Try it at speed (just slightly faster than your thinking process can function) and you will usually achieve success first time. I learnt this trick in my taxi driving days - it requires practice leading to confidence and, if you try it, don't send me your repair bills!

The full article.

http://www.artgraphica.net/free-art-les ... rawing.htm

The Captain of the Titanic did something similar...well, not quite.

Talking of the Titanic, the story goes that the Captain made the wrong call. He ordered 'Full Astern' which slowed the ship down, not enough as it turned out, but enough to lose all steerage. If he'd ordered 'Full Speed Ahead' then he could have steered around the iceberg.

RogerS":2sfxaxtj said:

Talking of the Titanic, the story goes that the Captain made the wrong call. He ordered 'Full Astern' which slowed the ship down, not enough as it turned out, but enough to lose all steerage. If he'd ordered 'Full Speed Ahead' then he could have steered around the iceberg.

Captain Smith used to do 'handbrake turns' with passenger liners, entering harbour at close to full speed and swinging the ship around to come to the dock sideways. On one occasion (on the Olympic) he caused so much wash that other ships in the harbour broke their moorings and collided. He was a bad boy...

Smudger":2t99s22f said:
RogerS":2t99s22f said:

Captain Smith used to do 'handbrake turns' with passenger liners, entering harbour at close to full speed and swinging the ship around to come to the dock sideways. On one occasion (on the Olympic) he caused so much wash that other ships in the harbour broke their moorings and collided. He was a bad boy...

:lol:

On the Greek island of Skopelos we used to watch the incoming ferry hurtle into the tiny tiny bay, drop the front anchor at the appropriate moment and then allow the ship to pivot round on that point so that the ship was facing back out to sea. Very impressive to watch although I'm sure that we weren't just waiting to see what would happen if it dragged its' anchor :wink:

Just shows how rubbish a Lexus is as an off roader...a Landy would have gone right over the top of those two :lol: :lol: and then be looking for another couple of motors to demolish - Rob

Latest posts

Back