Paring chisel help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermatt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have recently been giving a nice sorby 1 1/4 paring chisel , however it has i convex of about 2mm half way down the blade :-( .
Is it worth trying to heat it up and to flatten it or try to lap it flat by hand , or is it one for the bin , Any tips would be a great help thanks

Do you mean it's bent? If the flat face side is a bit convex it may not matter too much , but if concave it could be useless.
I wouldn't waste hours lapping it - that way madness lies. Just get another one if you really need it.

Thanks jacob , thats one for the bin then would like to have a paring chisel will have to try ebay Thanks again

If this is a full size (i.e. long) chisel, then unless you have a job where need the full reach of the tool and can't get your fingers in to guide the tip, it really won't matter.

beermatt":3uzcohq8 said:
Thanks jacob , thats one for the bin then would like to have a paring chisel will have to try ebay Thanks again
I'd hang on to it, you never know, could come in handy!

If the bevelled face is flat (or slightly concave) just reverse the bevel.

Pete W":o0o3t3g1 said:

Just a caveat - that'll work for most modern chisels, made from homogenous steel, but some vintage tools are laminated, and can't be reversed.

BugBear

bugbear":9iojre3q said:
Pete W":9iojre3q said:

Just a caveat - that'll work for most modern chisels, made from homogenous steel, but some vintage tools are laminated, and can't be reversed.

Ah, yes - good point! My excuse is that I don't have any laminated chisels #-o.

Latest posts

Back