Parallel clamp - jaw movement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanous

Established Member
Reaction score
Gents,

Just got my new clamps from Axminster, and they have a bit of a play with them. They come back to me saying it's 'normal'.

What do you guys think? I thought there would be no play in them at all. Pictures from the same clamp.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20210705_144818.jpg
    20210705_144818.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210705_144835.jpg
    20210705_144835.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 37
Compared to my old record T bars those aren’t bad at all, there is always a certain amount of play in them, and in fact you really don’t want them too tight, it would slow things down.
I wouldn’t worry, put some pieces of wood in there with glue on them and they will squeeze up and come out just fine. Ian

Thanks mate, appreciate the feedback. Axminster said the same thing, but you never know from a seller, if they just hoping to spare their time and cash, or if that's actually correct. Cheers

Is that with the clamp tightened up? The bar bends so measuring relative to it isn’t a good test. If it’s not tightened up… how would it move if there was no clearance?

Good point, if the bar bows towards the wood, and there is negative angle, say 89 degrees, then the one degree or so would net me a square.

I'm set on keeping these, see how the glue up goes once I get to it. They claim lifetime warranty, so I can take it back anytime if it doesn't work.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back