Panel Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nevo

Reaction score
Looking to get a panel saw, can anybody give any advice. I have 4k to spend. I make kitchens etc , so repeat cutting would need to be good. Axminster have cheap ones but not too sure about quality.

Thanks Nev

I would be looking at a second hand Altendorf if I had 4k to spend on a panel saw, they do come up in various machine auctions. Or take a look at this site. You will pay 3k more from a dealer though.

Simple answer is don't get new, I spent £4k on a brand new robland, it was OK but not great.
I traded it in a few years later and spent £6k on this.
dsc0307v.jpg

As you will know Altendorf are one of the best manufactures, mines a 2006 model but I'm sure you could get an earlier model from auction for your budget.

Buying used, I could agree more
only one of 32+ machines in here is new to me

a Alt 45 or 90 , is the saw I'd like , if I had the extra coin

I went with a SAC CS4 9 ft slider
pic21-1.jpg

couldn't be happier ,it was $1800 , about 8 yrs ago
it was 440/3 , so I changed it over to 550/3

I make kitchens also , don't get less than 8' 6" slide length

Just a note of caution. We bought a new Altendorf saw just a few years ago, with digital read outs on everything. Two of the panels have failed, which, considering the very low usage was a bitter blow, especially when we got huge estimats for replacements. We now run the saw with tape measures stuck to it, and have assossiates who have had the same experience.
A nice saw, but a shame that fixing this nasty problem is prohibitively expensive.

Holy moly Wysong, that must be the best combi ever, a panel saw ,two rip saws ,router table and spindle all in one set up.Cool. 8)

workstoolsetc":3iz5txs9 said:
Just a note of caution. We bought a new Altendorf saw just a few years ago, with digital read outs on everything. Two of the panels have failed, which, considering the very low usage was a bitter blow, especially when we got huge estimats for replacements. We now run the saw with tape measures stuck to it, and have assossiates who have had the same experience.
A nice saw, but a shame that fixing this nasty problem is prohibitively expensive.

This is one of the reasons I went for the Altendorf WA80, no digital panels, just seem to be asking for trouble.
I was tempted by a new Martins but even the base model has a digital panel, very little of the information would have been useful.

A decent refurbed wadkin will come in at about 3k another good option I personally wouldn't go near the administer. No doubt that will upset a few people and I do appolise in advance
Give me a call if that might suit and I will arrange some quotes for you. The guy I deal with did have a few altendorfs in a while back he also usually has a good stock of holhzer wall saws in

Back