Panel Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klaus Kretschmar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

Easter time was shop time :) . These days Pedder and I used to begin a few new saws, to continue some others and to finish finally a Panel saw. This saw we want to show you now. It´s a 22" Cross Cut saw with 10 tpi, 25° rake and 30° fleam. The handle is out of quarter sawn American Walnut and sized to the hand of the customer.

The pics are a bit lousy and don´t do the saw justice. Anyway:

Fuchsschwanz.JPG

Fuchsschwanz1.JPG

Fuchsschwanz+2.JPG

Fuchsschwanz+3.JPG

Fuchsschwanz+4.JPG

Fuchsschwanz+5.JPG

A few pics of some test cuts, 25 mm Oak (the wonderful saw bench is a chair :oops: ):

CIMG1542.JPG

CIMG1543.JPG

45 mm Ash:

CIMG1546.JPG

CIMG1547.JPG

CIMG1548.JPG

We like the saw, the new owner hopefully also.

Klaus

Nice saw Klaus and Pedder!

I think the blade tip is a bit wide for my taste aesthitcally though. I'd prefer one about half the width from what I see in the second pic.

Of course, as long as there are no binding problems (I think thats the reason for the stepped tip or a tapered back?) and the customer likes it it's fine :)

chingerspy":35ixtd8r said:
Nice saw Klaus and Pedder!

I think the blade tip is a bit wide for my taste aesthitcally though. I'd prefer one about half the width from what I see in the second pic.

Of course, as long as there are no binding problems (I think thats the reason for the stepped tip or a tapered back?) and the customer likes it it's fine :)

Funny you mention it. The aesthetically part is the most problematically in our partnership. Klaus likes italian sportcars and I Volvos or Landrovers. Actually we discuss the handle Pattern for a 14" long but only 2 1/2" high carcase saw. Each of us has drawn a few but it takes it's time to create a ferrarover. :D

It's a step to the old saws. Think of Adam Cherubini's saws ore Mike Wenzloff's Keaton saws. I like it. Very Landrover.

BTW, The saw certainly does not bind, it would not leave the shop otherwise. :lol:

Cheers Pedder

Hi Klaus and Pedder....HAPPY EASTER to you both!

I like the Disston style saws with the sweep to the tip but apart from that design, I am not a great panel saw fan.

That being said....I really like the geometric simplicity of your design....it looks like it is built for the job for which it is intended!!

I am still amazed that you are able to carve such intricate handles without the bottom half shearing off....

If I made that it would shear along the grain on its first outing!!

:D

Lovely wood mate!

Jim

jimi43":17xar01m said:
That being said....I really like the geometric simplicity of your design....it looks like it is built for the job for which it is intended!!

Hi Jim,

Klaus is going to say something about the carving of the lambs tongue. one reason it does not shear is the quatersawn wood. And yes we love it, too, we just reinvested two saw's worth in more of this wood.

Speaking of the design. The idea behind this panel saw is the picture of an old big Rip saw, I've seen on woodnet. The owner was very kind and sent us a scan of the handle:

JFlintSaw_Scantest+klein.jpg

This was the base for this sketch:

Two+Lawyer+Tools+Panel+saw+Vorskizze+.jpg

The big rip saw has a straight backed blade and a nib and that was what we wanted for the saw.

We can make skewed blades on request, but there are plenty very good Disstons and Spear and Jacksons on ebay so we don't see a marked for ne skew backs.

Actually Klaus likes the skew blade more, too.

I really like the geometric simplicity of your design.

To tell the truth I don't think neither the handle nor the blade (nib) are good examples of geometric simplicity. I think them to be very ornamental. :wink: The only thing we could add is wheat carving (wich won't harmonize with this handlestyle.)

Cheers
Pedder

To tell the truth I don't think neither the handle nor the blade (nib) are good examples of geometric simplicity. I think them to be very ornamental. The only thing we could add is wheat carving (wich won't harmonize with this handlestyle.)

Hi Pedder.

Thanks for the fascinating insight into the evolution of the handle design. I understand that you would have used quartersawn as you would have problems otherwise....I am still amazed at the brevity of wood at some of the transitions.

I guess I am too used to working with mahogany that I see all woods with shear potential along grain lines....your designs are certainly very elegant.

With the words "geometric simplicity"...I really mean "clean lines" and in a positive way. Wonderful mixture of straight angles and French curve!

Jim

The first carpenter I worked with had a panel saw that tapered down to a key hole saw tip (gleich die Stichsäge) through years of resharpening, so this design would have taken him two lifetimes of work to wear down.
I like it and the way it appears to cut in the photo's.
Rob.

Back