Panel Saw / Table Saw : differences?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve (Correze)

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently looking at machines to equip my workshop with. For most things I have a pretty good idea of what I'd like and how to use it, but I'm a little stuck when it comes to the (table) saw.

At work, I use a Casadei panel saw, but I've never used a "conventional" table saw, are there any major differences I should be aware of and particular features I should look for?

I'm currently looking at the Kity 419 with sliding chariot, it looks a bit small though.

I will be working with panels (up to 2m*1m) as well as wood.

Any advice?

I love that. Sliding Chariot. I will forever more refer to my sliding table as the Chariot. ;)

I believe the difference between a standard TS and a Panel Saw is indeed the sliding table. Or more precisely, the fact that you can dimension sheet stock (panels) easily. However, I believe some of the smaller saws that now come with 'chariots' are now being referred to a panel saws which is kinda wishful thinking.

Basically if you are processing lots of sheet stock then you need a panel saw with a good sliding table. If you do mostly real wood furniture making then the 'chariot' is not as necessary. In fact you hardly need a 'chariot' for anything other than sheet stock.

If you think the chariot on the 419 is small then you need to be looking at bigger saws like the new Jet JTS-600. I'm not sure what other saws are availible to you in France. Laguna? I know that's made in Italy.

Chariot is a general term for anything that moves, carriage would be the nearest translation, but sliding table if you prefer...

Looking at photos of the smaller saws, the crosscut fence appears to be at the "wrong" end of the chariot to me, trailing edge rather than leading, is this something that is user configurable or would I be stuck with this setup?

Means I can't use the x-cut fence as a depth-stop for notching corners or roughing out tenons, unless I'm missing something obvious?

Price and weight are issues for me, though I could reinforce the floor if required, space isn't much of a problem.

Back