Pallet Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do do that if I have loads of the stuff, but they do jam the grate riddling. And I use the ashes so still need to extract them from the dust!
Get the nails out when the ashes are cold, with a magnet in a plastic beaker. Pull the magnet out and the nails drop off into the ash can whatever.

Wherever possible, cut the nails, not the wood. Thats how the big repair companies do it, for several reasons. The nail heads can be easily popped out but the only real downside is that the blocks retain the shanks, which may or may not be a problem.

Have to say I quite like this : might have a crack at it if I can find 2 similar sized jobs.

Granted, you wouldn't stick a vice on it or anything, but it looks a handy enough piece to roll around the shop!

I'm not impressed with the way this is made, it'd be much stronger with some kind of joinery for the legs with no screws even if it was a lap joint but mortise and tenon would be ideal, it's not so much the material but how you use it.

I think pallets are great. Used for shelving and building racks to support thing's. Sure some are better than others but I find that theyare are great source of free wood to get creative with. My main problem is that I don't have a vehicle large enough to cart them around otherwise I would have loads of them. Mostly treated wood so great for outside use. Can take a bit of time dismantling them but that's half the fun...sort of...

I think pallets are great. Used for shelving and building racks to support thing's. Sure some are better than others but I find that theyare are great source of free wood to get creative with. My main problem is that I don't have a vehicle large enough to cart them around otherwise I would have loads of them. Mostly treated wood so great for outside use. Can take a bit of time dismantling them but that's half the fun...sort of...
more fun making something from something you have recycled/restored/converted than just buying new things to make out of.

Little cabinet from pallet wood is progressing nicely:
20220922_202743.jpg

Yesterday, I have resawn the "legs" of the pallet which were quartersawn, so after thicknessing, those will be the rear panels. And I think I am also going to use that as the drawer front. The nails came out pretty easily, but they were a bit of weird, it looks like there is some kind of glue on them, and they have ridges on the shank, there is also a bit of brass/copper wire around them, weird.

Really keen on seeing the material after finishing, and also after aging, as I think pine ages really nicely.
Will need to do quite a bit of sanding still, in the detail picture of the dovetails you can see a deep scratch and some snipe, so that needs to be removed.

Also, a planer/ thicknesser (or jointer/planer) is great, it really allows one to re-purpose all kinds of wood, especially combined with a band saw.

Attachments

• 20220922_191824_resized.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Pallet wood Adirondack chair - as has been stated the biggest cost is time. I avoid any pallets with more than 2 nails at any end as you will never get usable wood of any length from them and it also means they've been repaired over time.

Attachments

• IMG20210924140833.jpg
    IMG20210924140833.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Thanks! That's how they look, can imagine wood/resin getting trapped between ridges creating the impression of glue. Do wonder where the bit of copper wire comes from (and desperately hope there's not more of that buried in the nail holes......).

Edit:
Mystery solved, did a little googling on "ringshank nail" and "pallet", and this came up:
pt31370344-hot_dipped_galvanized_wood_pallet_ring_shank_coil_nails.jpg

So apparently these are coiled using copper wire, and that's what I saw when I pulled them from the wood, tiny bit of wire on the bottom, and a tiny bit on top.

Fitted the drawing this morning.
20220925_105322.jpg

Will say that the pine is very fragile, so keep a bottle of thin superglue handy. I cracked the drawer front when carefully paring the sockets for the half blind dovetails.

the wire that fixes the rolled nails is copper coated steel.....
it gets embeded with the nail....but soon rots and turns to dust.....no prob for a normal carbide blade......
I use an Evolution dedicated metal cutting circ saw.....^slower than norm with a special blade^ to chop up the wood....
but before sanding or hand power planing I use a metal detecting wand....just in case....
this wood will never go thu my thicknesser......
evrey thing I make with pallet wood I used drywall screws...all outside projects....

Latest posts

Back