• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Pair of woodies.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
I spotted this listing on ebay and popped it on my watch list. Sure enough, no bids so I made an offer and picked them up this morning:

Slight crack on the runner piece on the badger plane

Strike button on the badger

No strike button on the jointer!

It's a bit battered, but perfectly functional! Tested it out on a bit of scrap, but will give it a proper go in the workshop tomorrow.

Mouth is a bit wide - might fit an insert

All in all, the last of my Christmas money well spent!

Cheers

Karl

Cheshirechappie

Established Member
Reaction score
The break by the mouth of the badger is a very common fault - the wood's very thin there. I've seen the odd one with a strip of brass let in to take the side wear, and provide a bit more strength just behind the mouth.

Lovely pair of planes!

MMUK

Established Member
Reaction score
This is going to be one of those bargains that will leave the rest of us kicking ourselves, isn't it Karl? =P~

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheshirechappie":647v39mb said:
The break by the mouth of the badger is a very common fault - the wood's very thin there. I've seen the odd one with a strip of brass let in to take the side wear, and provide a bit more strength just behind the mouth.

Lovely pair of planes!
I don't think I've ever seen a badger with a completely intact cheek - it does, after all, taper down to zero thickness, which give a tendency to weakness. :D

BugBear

Sheffield Tony

Ghost of the disenchanted
Reaction score
Is that "runner piece" on the badger plane an original feature or a repair, do you think ?

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Very interesting, bargain no doubt! Any sign of any maker's names?
On the 'badger', is that a hardwood full width sole, or as mentioned a section let in, possibly later?
And I got (for Christmas, from someone we know) a Moseley with skewed blade. I referred to that as a mitre plane and use it for shooting end grain. What exactly defines a badger?
And sorry about all the questions :oops:

Latest posts