Pair of woodies.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
I spotted this listing on ebay and popped it on my watch list. Sure enough, no bids so I made an offer and picked them up this morning:

Slight crack on the runner piece on the badger plane

Strike button on the badger

No strike button on the jointer!

It's a bit battered, but perfectly functional! Tested it out on a bit of scrap, but will give it a proper go in the workshop tomorrow.

Mouth is a bit wide - might fit an insert

All in all, the last of my Christmas money well spent!

Cheers

Karl

The break by the mouth of the badger is a very common fault - the wood's very thin there. I've seen the odd one with a strip of brass let in to take the side wear, and provide a bit more strength just behind the mouth.

Lovely pair of planes!

Cheshirechappie":647v39mb said:
The break by the mouth of the badger is a very common fault - the wood's very thin there. I've seen the odd one with a strip of brass let in to take the side wear, and provide a bit more strength just behind the mouth.

Lovely pair of planes!

I don't think I've ever seen a badger with a completely intact cheek - it does, after all, taper down to zero thickness, which give a tendency to weakness. :D

BugBear

Very interesting, bargain no doubt! Any sign of any maker's names?
On the 'badger', is that a hardwood full width sole, or as mentioned a section let in, possibly later?
And I got (for Christmas, from someone we know) a Moseley with skewed blade. I referred to that as a mitre plane and use it for shooting end grain. What exactly defines a badger?
And sorry about all the questions :oops:

Latest posts

Back