Painting MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badge

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the middle of constructing some custom built fitted wardrobes.

I have searched about painting MDF, but nothing was said about it recently.

So I was thinking of applying a couple of coats of matt white emulsion, and then which ever colour of gloss.

What do you think?

you can buy some MDF primer this will seal the surface ready for painting cost about £8 a litre

So you mean something like this then..!

wickes co uk/quick-dry-mdf-primer-750ml/invt/214271/

It's only the cut edges that are my concern. So do I just use the primer on the cut edges then which ever undercoat I wish?

I usually prime all surfaces before using undercoat and finish coat. You will probably find that the cut edges will need sanding back after priming as the water in the primer will raise the fibres.

Yup. One coat of primer...seals the mdf. End pieces will need de-nibbing with 240 grit. Then one coat undercoat (get your paint merchant to mix the top coat colour into an undercoat base as it covers better then rather than just white).

Then as many top coats as needed till coverage is good. I find when I use top coat coloured undercoat I can sometimes get away with only one top coat. Sometimes two though.

It depends on how much MDF you have to paint and what sort of MDF you are using? If you have a lot of edges to cover then I would recommend Zinnser bin. This is a sealer and works brilliantly on MDF edges, the drawback is the cost of it as it's not cheap. It is a shellac based sealer white in colour and only requires one coat on the edge and dries within 30 mins and can then be sanded and covered with any paint you care to use. If you are spray painting the pieces then I would recommend something like Morrells primer/sealer but this is only available in 5ltr quantities. HTH. :wink:

I do this daily for a living. Waterbased acrylic paints only. No special primers or sanding sealers.....forget all that it is not required. MRMDF only. i would normally edgeband the end grain of exposed edges that will be prominemtly seen such as door sides carcass sides etc. with a white paint grade edge band. If you cant edgeband then you will need to sand inbetween each coat starting with something like 120 grit and working higher up the grades with each successive coat. 2 coats of acrylic primer/undercoat....johnstoners or dulux trade. De-nibbed inbetween coats with 120 scratch. 2 coats of eggshell dulux trade diamond or standard depending on spec. De-nibbed 240 in-between. De-nib with 180 inbetween the two different paints.

Cheers

Back